Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've browsed this forum a lot, first time posting though. I'm 20, have read a lot and talked with folks in the trade. That being said, I'm ready to dive in and start an apprenticeship. I'm ready for the hard work, and I REALLY want to LEARN. If I'm an electrician for the rest of my life, I want to continue to gain more knowledge and specializations in the trade. I'm very smart, but could never sit at a desk all day. I'm very set on this and I'm prepared to work hard for this. I live in Memphis at the moment, and am married. I'm going to go through the Midsouth IEC for my apprenticeship. I might move to Phoenix halfway through, but there is an IEC location there, so it's all good for transferring. Within the next month I'm gonna go apply at IEC for the apprenticeship (take an easy math test, drug test, and I have a clean record, good high school grades, physcially capable, etc.). How IEC works: If you pass the tests, you aren't "accepted" yet to take your weekly class. They set you up with job interviews (the school is partnered with like 50 local electrical businesses), and once you get hired on with one of these businesses, you are a full-time apprentice and you are "accepted" to start classes.I hope I get hired on somewhere quickly, don't want to wait around. I guess the point of my post is to introduce myself, and to ask anyone in the Memphis area what they think, advice, job prospects.. Anything. I'm all ears guys

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello all, I've browsed this forum a lot, first time posting though. I'm 20, have read a lot and talked with folks in the trade. That being said, I'm ready to dive in and start an apprenticeship. I'm ready for the hard work, and I REALLY want to LEARN. If I'm an electrician for the rest of my life, I want to continue to gain more knowledge and specializations in the trade. I'm very smart, but could never sit at a desk all day. I'm very set on this and I'm prepared to work hard for this. I live in Memphis at the moment, and am married. I'm going to go through the Midsouth IEC for my apprenticeship. I might move to Phoenix halfway through, but there is an IEC location there, so it's all good for transferring. Within the next month I'm gonna go apply at IEC for the apprenticeship (take an easy math test, drug test, and I have a clean record, good high school grades, physcially capable, etc.). How IEC works: If you pass the tests, you aren't "accepted" yet to take your weekly class. They set you up with job interviews (the school is partnered with like 50 local electrical businesses), and once you get hired on with one of these businesses, you are a full-time apprentice and you are "accepted" to start classes.I hope I get hired on somewhere quickly, don't want to wait around. I guess the point of my post is to introduce myself, and to ask anyone in the Memphis area what they think, advice, job prospects.. Anything. I'm all ears guys
Do it and don't look back.

Welcome aboard..:thumbsup:

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Electrical Contractors and electric motor shops check into those employers.
volunteer at your local Habitat for Humanity twice a month get your residential experience. also keep your eyes open for contractors to work for at habitat sites

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
take JC college and trade school level Electrical, Electrical & Building Code classes heating air conditioning, Plumbing & Framing. construction management and business courses, even salesmanship classes if you can find them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I should take classes outside of IEC (benefits of said classes) ? Please explain, I'm a green horn and all ears
I want to progress in this trade, when I start my apprenticeship I know I'll be a grunt, at the bottom, but I want to progress after my internship as far as I can

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I am not in a union so I do not know how that works.

Work has been picking up in this town so you should not have an issue finding a job.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
. Anything. I'm all ears guys
Myself, i have only one real prerequisite for any apprentice Spark

Simply put, be willing to meet your maker with your tool belt on

I don't say this whimsically, or insinuate you fall into a HV Xformer

It's a matter of heart, and if you got your heart in in, there's 1,000 years of experience right here that's at your fingertips

Good luck!

~CS~

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
So I should take classes outside of IEC (benefits of said classes) ? Please explain, I'm a green horn and all ears
I want to progress in this trade, when I start my apprenticeship I know I'll be a grunt, at the bottom, but I want to progress after my internship as far as I can
yes those classes will enhance your knowledge of the trades, they will separate you from the men from the boys. tell us what type of electrical courses are in that program you're talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts