Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've browsed this forum a lot, first time posting though. I'm 20, have read a lot and talked with folks in the trade. That being said, I'm ready to dive in and start an apprenticeship. I'm ready for the hard work, and I REALLY want to LEARN. If I'm an electrician for the rest of my life, I want to continue to gain more knowledge and specializations in the trade. I'm very smart, but could never sit at a desk all day. I'm very set on this and I'm prepared to work hard for this. I live in Memphis at the moment, and am married. I'm going to go through the Midsouth IEC for my apprenticeship. I might move to Phoenix halfway through, but there is an IEC location there, so it's all good for transferring. Within the next month I'm gonna go apply at IEC for the apprenticeship (take an easy math test, drug test, and I have a clean record, good high school grades, physcially capable, etc.). How IEC works: If you pass the tests, you aren't "accepted" yet to take your weekly class. They set you up with job interviews (the school is partnered with like 50 local electrical businesses), and once you get hired on with one of these businesses, you are a full-time apprentice and you are "accepted" to start classes.I hope I get hired on somewhere quickly, don't want to wait around. I guess the point of my post is to introduce myself, and to ask anyone in the Memphis area what they think, advice, job prospects.. Anything. I'm all ears guys

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Just kidding, get used to it.
Go and do it. Jobs don't generally fall out of the sky and land in your lap. You have to put in the footwork. The sooner the better, if you are serious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, first post on the forum. Sorry, I'll learn my way around. And to the poster above..It does seem like "tools" are replying :laughing:
I've read some pretty humorous **** on this forum thus far

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,001 Posts
You can join. We don't really mind you joining. But there is a condition. I get all your vinyl albums. All of em. I dig Memphis Blues....

·
Registered
809 Posts
macmikeman said:
You can join. We don't really mind you joining. But there is a condition. I get all your vinyl albums. All of em. I dig Memphis Blues....
Hes only 20 im sure hes never seen an album or knows what the blues are. I dig the blues myself. Welcome aboard by the way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hes only 20 im sure hes never seen an album or knows what the blues are. I dig the blues myself. Welcome aboard by the way

HEY, I actually play guitar avidly, and the blues is my ****. I can tear up a pentatonic scale. I'M YOUNG but have good taste in music. I play covers of Stevie Ray and Clapton all the time, even though Clapton is more soul than blues. Most people in Memphis listen to worthless rap, unless you're at an establishment on Beale Street with live blues bands. Plus we have the Gibson Guitar factory. And Graceland, of course

·
Registered
809 Posts
HopefulSparky said:
HEY, I actually play guitar avidly, and the blues is my ****. I can tear up a pentatonic scale. I'M YOUNG but have good taste in music. I play covers of Stevie Ray and Clapton all the time, even though Clapton is more soul than blues. Most people in Memphis listen to worthless rap, unless you're at an establishment on Beale Street with live blues bands. Plus we have the Gibson Guitar factory. And Graceland, of course
Thats sweet. Not to many people younger like the blues. I always wanted to play the guitar but i suck at it so i gave it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts