Does anyone know where there is good info on the theory of metal halide pulse start lights? The fixtures I'm interested in are:
Constant Wattage Autotransformer Ballast.
Which consist of:
1. Ballast which appears to be a transformer with multi tapped input and leads between primary and secondary that connect to the capacitor.
The best I've found so far is Venture Lighting but I'd like more detail on currents, voltages, and wave forms.
I'd like to understand:
1. What this fixture does at start-up
2. How does it know to go from start-up mode to continuous mode.
3. How does it perform the above transition.
4. What voltages, waveforms, and currents are happening during these modes of operation.
Unless the igniter contains sophisticated electronics, this circuit shouldn't be too hard to understand.
I don't know if this knowledge will save me any trips up the lift but I'm intrigued by the operation. I find it interesting that a ballast rated for 500W can damage a bulb rated for 250W.