443 Posts
Is there a key I can purchase for these locks ? Grinding is getting old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I shudder to think what would do to me here for “grinding.”

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
These are old locks and I don’t see them very often.

Doesn’t seem like a big deal around here? I don’t know maybe it is.

I pull a work order with the utility. They give me a number that’s all. It’s never even mentioned about locks it just assumed I’m pulling the meter, they ask a few other basic questions and if I will making my own connections. I say yes and done.

I’m pretty much the one on the seen during emergencies in my area. I’m usually on the site with utility. They give me tons of connectors and even leave me the meter seal to close up when I’m done...

I install meter jumpers too so people don’t have to go without power while waiting for meter department. I always call in and ask first.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
poco will send out stormtroopers if we touch there meters

That’s interesting but Also would be a logistical nightmare for me. I’ve done 7 services in the last 11 workdays. I couldn’t imagine having to coordinate all that with poco. We do it all from disconnecting to reconnecting when done, install meter.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,616 Posts
It's called a Jonard Barrel Lock Key.

Google that and you will find it.

BTW for all you guys outside of the National Grid service area, they do not care as long as you have a UA number, and they do as little as possible. It's not the guys that suck it's the company.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Can't do our own here, all has to be done through the POCO.

Doing a service change a while back and about 5 houses down another EC is doing one. I have a permit and have gone through all the hoops with the utility and such, him not so much.

I get my disconnect and start my job. He showed up a bit after the POCO left and did his own disconnect. About an hour later POCO shows up at his place for a "Trouble Call" because something wasn't right with the smart meter.

I have no idea what happened, but there was quite a bit of yelling, and from what the HO on my job said, their neighbor was without power for about a week.

Just make sure what you do is on the up and up, it will eventually catch up.

·
Senile Member
30,687 Posts
It's called a Jonard Barrel Lock Key.

Google that and you will find it.

BTW for all you guys outside of the National Grid service area, they do not care as long as you have a UA number, and they do as little as possible. It's not the guys that suck it's the company.

Shunk had a different name for it. I can't remember it though. He had the keys too.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,154 Posts
Agreed it can be made with a long drywall screw ground down as needed (search YouTube), but they are hit or miss and don't work on all variants of the lock.

Angle grinder always works and always works fast.

And geez louise, some of y'all put way too much stock in a POCO's authority. :vs_laugh:

·
Hackenschmidt
10,436 Posts
Does anyone miss a certain devil may care electrician that had little concern for the laws of men, and sometimes even the laws of nature?

If you search for posts on this subject from @HackWork you'll find some good info.

#HACK LIVES MATTER

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
Does anyone miss a certain devil may care electrician that had little concern for the laws of men, and sometimes even the laws of nature?

If you search for posts on this subject from @HackWork you'll find some good info.

#HACK LIVES MATTER

He's just a 'Jersey guy'... an independent thinker.....we don't fit in everywhere.

Attitude is everything!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts