Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3unit home operating on one meter. Owner wants to provide each tenant their own meter. Currently all units operating on single 125amp panel.

I want to provide 125 amp to each unit so planning to use EATON 1MP3124RC (3 socket meter pack - 400 bus/125 tenant) and run each tenant to subpanel. I am planning to use 600kcm for the single phase overhead.

The meter pack is 2-3000 dollars plus tenant breakers and 600kcm lugs. This seems like a lot for this application.

Any suggestions on different equipment to lower costs?

Each unit has Window A/C units, refrigerators, microwaves, tv's, .... so minimum of 100amp panels needed and 125 preferred.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I have a 3unit home operating on one meter. Owner wants to provide each tenant their own meter. Currently all units operating on single 125amp panel.

I want to provide 125 amp to each unit so planning to use EATON 1MP3124RC (3 socket meter pack - 400 bus/125 tenant) and run each tenant to subpanel. I am planning to use 600kcm for the single phase overhead.

The meter pack is 2-3000 dollars plus tenant breakers and 600kcm lugs. This seems like a lot for this application.

Any suggestions on different equipment to lower costs?

Each unit has Window A/C units, refrigerators, microwaves, tv's, .... so minimum of 100amp panels needed and 125 preferred.
Here, our POCO issues meter sockets for free to EC's. I can get up to a 6 bank meter socket.
I just have to fill out a form with the address(') and if it is not installed at said address('), I will be charged for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks. I looked at the panel Dennis cited and it is aluminum bus. I was hoping to stay with copper as wiring size already at 600kcm needing a 3.5" mast. I may have to go to aluminum to reduce costs. If I used aluminum panel it would take a 1000kcm thwn wire for 400amp bus. Does code allow for split feeders and if so, is it a straight split 2-500's for a 1000kcm?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,305 Posts
Hey guys, thanks. I looked at the panel Dennis cited and it is aluminum bus. I was hoping to stay with copper as wiring size already at 600kcm needing a 3.5" mast. I may have to go to aluminum to reduce costs. If I used aluminum panel it would take a 1000kcm thwn wire for 400amp bus. Does code allow for split feeders and if so, is it a straight split 2-500's for a 1000kcm?
The code does allow parallel service conductors as long as the smallest size is 1/0 or larger

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Unless the units have electric ranges and electric baseboard I would sell 60 amp services to each unit and feed meters 200 amps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
NOt sure if you bought a meter cabinet yet, but i had just installed a 6 gang horizontal unit 200 amp unit and cost was $550 i think it was a millbank, but i know some areas power companies require specific meter cabinets, i know if i go an hour north of here that company uses a different cabinet. My unit didnt provide breakers on the meter cabinet so that may be one price difference.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
Unless the units have electric ranges and electric baseboard I would sell 60 amp services to each unit and feed meters 200 amps.

If it were me , I would remember that the code requires 100 amp services to dwelling units.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
If it were me , I would remember that the code requires 100 amp services to dwelling units.
230.79C says that is only for single family dwellings.

I would do a 3 gang 200a rated meter socket with 3 100a disconnects or 60s below. The load isnt changing so I dont see the need to boost the service that much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.