Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scratching my head here. I came up as a commercial guy and now do mostly controls. Started doing residential jobs over the past year for a small GC. I'm in the middle of a job where I had to relocate a meter and heavy up a service. The final product is 2 nema disconnects and meter socket. When I ordered my meter can(have to go through SH, used to go through poco) I specified I needed a double lug 350 amp meter and specified the power company I was working with. What he gave me was a double lug meter rated for 200 amps. So I ask myself, why would hey make a double lug 200 amp meter? Then think, is it because the likelihood of drawing 200 amps isn't typical? Or maybe this is the wrong part? Next curveball was that I ordered another "350 amp double lug meter" and went to pick it up. It was rated 320 amp, but the size of this thing was waaaaay bigger then any typical meter can ive seen before. I'm going to call the poco tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it. Curiosity is killing me. Hence the thread

Edit--service I'm calling 350 consists of a 200 amp mb panel and a 150 amp mb panel

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,700 Posts
Scratching my head here. I came up as a commercial guy and now do mostly controls. Started doing residential jobs over the past year for a small GC. I'm in the middle of a job where I had to relocate a meter and heavy up a service. The final product is 2 nema disconnects and meter socket. When I ordered my meter can(have to go through SH, used to go through poco) I specified I needed a double lug 350 amp meter and specified the power company I was working with. What he gave me was a double lug meter rated for 200 amps. So I ask myself, why would hey make a double lug 200 amp meter? Then think, is it because the likelihood of drawing 200 amps isn't typical? Or maybe this is the wrong part? Next curveball was that I ordered another "350 amp double lug meter" and went to pick it up. It was rated 320 amp, but the size of this thing was waaaaay bigger then any typical meter can ive seen before. I'm going to call the poco tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it. Curiosity is killing me. Hence the thread

Edit--service I'm calling 350 consists of a 200 amp mb panel and a 150 amp mb panel
A 400A pan is rated for 320 as that is the 80% continuous load as I am told.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing some more research. As long as the calculated loads aren't over the meter size rating then I'm good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts