Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family in northern Texas has lost the meter socket on their home. The residence is ~3200 sqft and build late 90's. I am sure that the meter is a class 200 and the main service is 200 amps. (no ct's)

The power company is saying that the meter base came loose and that is the basis of their problems

I have been around the block a dozen or so times and have never seen a meter base go bad.

Thought and comments please.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,232 Posts
I've seen the base insulator break leaving the guts flopping around. Maybe that's what they mean?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Of course meter sockets go bad, especially in a home that should have had a 320 amp service entrance.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why 320?, the electrical load does not exceed 200 amps. Which is what class 200 meter is rated for.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I didn't say YOUR house needed 320.
I've seen houses with two AC units, Hot Tub, Pool Heater, etc. that have failed 200A meter sockets.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,699 Posts
If the older analog meter was replaced with a new-fangled smart meter, the stabs on the new meters are slightly thinner and will occasionally burn up an existing socket.

When the PUCO replaced all the older meters with smart ones around here, there were about a dozen meltdowns and several fires.

·
Premium Member
residential, commercial, and industrial
234 Posts
Hehe, my username is the title of this thread 😂

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've seen cast aluminum meter sockets where the mast pulled loose from the house and caused the meter socket to break.
Most of the time the mounting screws broke out the back of the meter socket, or cracked the threaded conduit connection.
This type of meter socket was popular, or maybe the only thing available, back during the post WWII housing boom. Late 40's.
My parents house was built in 1954 had one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts