Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the MH pulse start 320W put out the same light/lumens as a 400W probe start?

Another question: What is the difference between the lamp sockets for pulse vs probe start?
I noticed on a socket in a probe start that it said "suitable for pulse start".

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Does the MH pulse start 320W put out the same light/lumens as a 400W probe start?

Another question: What is the difference between the lamp sockets for pulse vs probe start?
I noticed on a socket in a probe start that it said "suitable for pulse start".
About the same, let me double check. I know the 400w probe starts have an initial of about 36000 vertical lumens about the same as a 350 watt version.

A pulse start socket needs to be 5kv pulse rated both for the mogul and standards.

If the bulb is going in an open fixture use a type ''O'' rated lamp since its code now.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question was based on a paper written about pulse vs probe start. One of the stated advantages of the pulse over the probe was you could use a 320W pulse start and get the same light output as a 400W probe start. Plus better efficiency.

I'm trying to get some facts together to present to a customer that would justify him spending more for me to change his fixtures to pulse start. I was going to just change each out when they need servicing. Not all at once, just when one needs a ballast kit.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
My question was based on a paper written about pulse vs probe start. One of the stated advantages of the pulse over the probe was you could use a 320W pulse start and get the same light output as a 400W probe start. Plus better efficiency.

I'm trying to get some facts together to present to a customer that would justify him spending more for me to change his fixtures to pulse start. I was going to just change each out when they need servicing. Not all at once, just when one needs a ballast kit.

320=400... that isn't always the case but it can be depending on what your comparing. Metal Halide lamps burned horizontally will have a lower lumens rating over vertical burns. A position dedicated probe start will have higher initial lumens as well as the pulse start counterparts than universal made burners. Type O lamps are always a bit lower than type E. If the right combination of lamps and conditions are paired the 320 will be brighter than a 400 but not in others. Marketing statistics are easy to manipulate. In your case what is the exact system being evaluated?

I tend to find that the light output of a universal burn probe is about that of a type E 350 watt vertical pulse start. But pulse starts have 3 major advantages even if initial lumens are the same as what they are replacing

1. pulse start lamps have much higher mean lumens. At 10,000 hours a 20,000 hr rated probe start lamp will literally halve in light out put. Literally. A PS lamp only declines about 20% if that. Halving often doesn't even occur until past the rated life. Usually by then the lamp just fails to light.

2. 3-5 minute restrike over a 30 minute.

3. Color stay uniform over the life. As MH lamps age they migrate toward a blue green others toward a bright pink. Most just end up looking similar to clear mercury vapor bulbs by the time 8,000 hours rolls around.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
320=400... that isn't always the case but it can be depending on what your comparing. Metal Halide lamps burned horizontally will have a lower lumens rating over vertical burns. A position dedicated probe start will have higher initial lumens as well as the pulse start counterparts than universal made burners. Type O lamps are always a bit lower than type E. If the right combination of lamps and conditions are paired the 320 will be brighter than a 400 but not in others. Marketing statistics are easy to manipulate. In your case what is the exact system being evaluated?
It is outside wall packs, 400W probe start, horizontal lamps, 120V.
Ranging from 15'-20' high off the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.