Electrician Talk banner

Microwave receptacle location

5K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  MTW 
#1 ·
When the microwave is on a shelf instead of hung from the cabinet, is there room behind for the receptacle or do you still put it in the upper cabinet?

#11 ·
I'd never do a 4x4 with an ind cover inside a cabinet you'd see easily, or behind an appliance. You may very well need that 2-3" of space.
Whether it's an OTR or shelf unit I leave a whip and cut it right into the back of the cabinet after.

#12 ·
I have always seen this done with a regular old box mounted to the stud, then the drywall goes on and when the cabinet guy arrives he will cut out the back of the cabinet for the receptacle. Then we would put a box extension, receptacle and coverplate. Leaving a whip and sticking a surface mount box in would be too visible and not allow the microwave to be pushed all the way back.

For OTRs we would do the same thing but inside the cabinet above the microwave and run a dedicated 15A circuit for it, or the occasional surface-mount utility box inside the cabinet.

#14 · (Edited)
How can you set a height like 85" without knowing the cabinet size? Sure that would work for 42" wall cabinets but lots of kitchens get 30" wall cabinets which puts the top of the cabinet lineup at 84" AFF, 85" would put you half out the cabinet. 76-78" to center puts you inside of any cabinet whether it is a 3012, 3015,3018 or 3024 you're going to be in it.

For a shelf mount a whip or just put in a flush box if you know where the mfg specs it. For a true built in with a trim kit we leave a whip and do a surface mount if room, and there's always room.

#17 · (Edited)
Those are the rules we play by. If there's a device box or JB behind a cabinet, it gets cut out by the cabinet guy. We only jigsaw cabinets for island and peninsula receptacles.

The only time we have surface mounted microwave receptacles is on rental properties where the owner doesn't care about esthetics.

Sorry, quoted the wrong guy but you get the idea...

#28 ·
I'll have to try that one and the screws.. I carry a rotozip and a Fein tool to cut in if I have to. Rarely do I leave a surface mount box. Lower end I agree. I like the blue adjustable boxes though last time they got foamed in. I carry a box of BE1 sleeves and long 6-32's too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.