Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a local IBEW 613 sign up here going on next week. What can a state licensed contractor with 2 years apprentice school and 15 years in all phases of work expect? Could I get hired on directly as a JW? All comments welcome and many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's a local IBEW 613 sign up here going on next week. What can a state licensed contractor with 2 years apprentice school and 15 years in all phases of work expect? Could I get hired on directly as a JW? All comments welcome and many thanks in advance!
I am sure that if you have the qualifications you state and passed the locals exam then lu #613 will have no problem taking you into their membership. The leadership in this local are fair and will back you if you back OUR IBEW.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
I hope you walk on as a JM.

I think you will be surprised at the misconceptions you may have had about Unions, especially how 99.9% are just normal guys making a living.

I know you will be surprised by the amount you will make next year.:thumbsup:

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
Georgia is a hard state to be union in...but your best bet is to talk to 613 and see what they have to say. I would think they would be happy to have you.

·
cog
5,290 Posts
As long as the hall doesn't look like this.....whats the worst that could happen? (your name isn't Hansel is it?)

View attachment 31100

·
Senior Moment
1,120 Posts
Buzz, are they signing up new apprentices and or organizing in JM to?
If they are accepting JM through organizing they may require you to take written and hands on test. Make a call to the organizer or BM and start asking questions. Currently LU 613 has 430 JM on book I, scale is $29.00ph, 10% annuity 2% work assessment. You may want to talk to them about continuing a one man shop status as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
BuzzKill said:
Buzz I'm a 613 member. There funny how they do things up there. They get on a kick were they will take everyone in. Next time they will say ok still need you to do a year of training. Right now there is a lot of work coming up and there going to need more hands. Try it out. Can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Brothers that run this local are very understanding to those who wish to be a part of OUR IBEW, some of the best I have ever met running a local.

·
spaghetti slayer
223 Posts
It's 406

106 are douchebags

100 are working maintenance or another line of work

100 are retired or semi-retired

and the last 100 are out on some extended medical thing

·
Registered
Electrician
3,436 Posts
Just think Gus, you get the job, you may well work on both the Braves and Falcons stadium!

Reactions: BuzzKill

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So question for the union JW guys: how's that JW test you have to take?

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
So question for the union JW guys: how's that JW test you have to take?
I was on the examining board in our local for a few years.
We had a code test.
A motor control, three wire stop start. I had to show most of the guys the inside cover of the enclosure and point to the wiring diagram.
Pipe bending which would be a 90' 3 point saddle, four point saddle and a box offset, all one piece of pipe.
Also, make up a delta / wye transformer.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I'd say to take all of your credentials with you and sign up. If that does not work then hire two more people and go to them and sign as a Union contractor. I wish you luck either way.

·
spaghetti slayer
223 Posts
We got guys now who are JW's and speak hardly any english and never touched a stick of conduit until they hit the job. They were russian resi ropers who the local took onboard as JW's because the examiners were too tarded and lazy.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more question for the union guys: On average, over your career in the union, how many months a year have you worked?

·
Registered
31,170 Posts
One more question for the union guys: On average, over your career in the union, how many months a year have you worked?
When I worked in the local 12 months, my employees work 40+ hours a week (and the plus has been steady for 29 years), and work 12 months a year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts