Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soo weird thing happened tonight while working in a basement getting remodeled into finished, nice sized apartment area. The basement is pretty large with a bedroom, living room, small kitchen, two offices, and a tool room. Ive been working for a friend of a friend for a while now, wiring the offices and bed room. I mostly do whatever is helpful for the older man and he pays pretty well. Its a nice house but has many different trades down there as the home owner can be difficult to work for and I think some contractors would rather not deal with his particularities. Any ways, The wiring in the basement has been done by landmark, another contractor and now me. He has a spaced out 200A main, and a 60A subpanel thats getting there. Lots of dedicated circuits for tools and such. To describe how difficult the man would be is impossible because he "knows" everything. While hanging some drywall with a partner tonight, I stopped to take a break and witnessed the power from a 20 amp and a 15 amp circuit turn off and then back on in less than a second. No tripped breakers or anything like that. Nothing else in the house seemed to have turned off. multiple people were working and Im not sure if some kind of heavy equipment caused a spike or something but was slightly confused why it happened. I am a younger residential electrician(3-4 years) that deals mostly with new construction and thought a forum could be a good place to ask questions. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sometimes when you run high powered tools on a cord with small gauge wires in the extension cord I've had tools cut out on me due to the wire being to small for the load being drawn

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
Hook up a neon light xfmr into the system with the primary on the home run and the secondaries hooked to the rest of the circuit and bump the voltage up a bit to locate where the weak spot is. Keep a recently charged and in good working order fire extinguisher handy. And unplug the Boise system equipment first...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.