Electrician Talk banner

MikeHolt Practice Exams vs. The Real Thing

32K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  HARRY304E 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer an opinion on how the MikeHolt practice exams compare with the actual ICC exam? I took the 1999 journeyman test and was happily surprised, considering I haven't started studying yet.

How do his practice exams compare with the real thing?

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
I used Mike Holts "practice journeyman test" several years back and found it to be suprisingly similar. I would say it helped considerably.

I've also used his "Exam Prep." books as an instructor to help a few men study for the exam. More of them passed the first time than have failed.

#4 ·
Focus

A one word answer for what you need to focus on? CALCULATIONS

You will more than likely find more calculation questions than code questions, mostly because the code is subject to change while the calculations never lie. What worked for George Ohm, still works today...:thumbsup:

#5 · (Edited)
Crazy dude--you exactly hit the head of the nail of my greatest weakness! I did the 1999 version. On Part III, Technical Calculations, I scored 25%--i.e., equal to random guessing! Can you suggest a book of practice calculations?

Edit: Don't want to seem lazy...Do you have any experience with this book (Mike Holt's NEC Exam Preparation Textbook) or with this book (Mike Holt's NEC Exam Practice Questions Textbook)? If I do it, I'll probably take it in Louisiana, where they're still on the '02 cycle.

Has anyone else used these books? They look really good--the kind of thing you can do at home at the kitchen table. Has anyone worked their way the Exam Preparation Textbook and then taken the ICC test? How did you feel about your level of preparedness when you took the test, based on what was in Mike Holt's preparation textbook?

Thanks for any info,
Mark

#6 ·
I didnt take a mike holt prep class or exam but I recently took the icc test. and yea alot of it was calculations. now for the ky electrician icc exam it is open book and in the guidelines you cant have post it notes or loose note pages but anything you have written in code book before the test you can use. so in the back of the book on the blank pages of the code book i wrote down a bunch of formulas i suggest you check see if your test site is same way and that you write down formulas in the back of your book if it is allowed cuz you will need to know the formulas to do alot of the calculations.and there was alot of questions about sizing wire and finding ampacities in situations and over current devices.

#12 ·
I am in school to take my C-10 electrical contracotrs license exam..it is clsoed book
. .and the test includes loads of calcs you'll never use in the field..all memorization
..about 10% total of the test is calcs

I am in California . . .I went to CSLS great course . .seriously silly number of items on test . .though I am an service electrician...AND have done large scale commercial new work . . . .who the hell builds or works on transformers?

way too too much EE / POCO gen plant stuff

its california . .that should have been the giveaway huh ?

#13 ·
. . .who the hell builds or works on transformers?

way too too much EE / POCO gen plant stuff

its california . .that should have been the giveaway huh ?
I just finished reading this book.
Now I need to go back through it and work the problems. I thought it was great for getting a broad introduction that was technical but not so mathematical that I lost sight of the forest. I.e., no calculus. :)

Lots of info on the basics and connections of motors, DC generators and AC alternators--especially how various wye-wye, wye-delta, delta-wye and delta-delta connections between POCO alternator and premises motor affect voltage and current at all the points between: alternator phase windings, line, and motor phase windings.

I'll say that I understand reactance, both capacitative and inductive, better then I ever did, and now I understand why motors need running capacitors. Also, I understand resonance for the first time in my life.

#14 ·
After the storm many things began to change within the construction industry in Louisiana. Under the Louisiana State Construction Code Council Commission several updates to nationaly reconginised codes and standards were approved as of 01-01-07. Inspections are now required in every parish for all construction. I don't know why the LSLCB has not updated their site to the code references used in the test but, a phone call to the board will give you the most up to date list of reference materials to use. Anyone need a Louisiana Bussiness Law for General Contractors guide I have one (2004) edition.

#18 ·
do every kind of calculation possible: ovens, dryers, service, transformers, motors,conductors. etc., over and over until you know it by heart; then order some Tom Henry master exam books for questions and know how to find something in the code book! You only have a little over 2 minutes per test.

#19 · (Edited)
Check to see if the IBEW or IEC Chapter in your area has any prep classes. You will learn the correct way to do the calculations without beating your brains up trying to figure out how the author arrived at his/her answer. I have found that in most all classes, 75% of the people studying for an exam are scared to death that they will fail because of the calculations. The formulas aren't hard - you just have top know what to use when. Then practice, practice, practice. If you take a computer version of the ICC test, the formulas are on a different tab in the test. (Just hit a button and all of the electrical formulas are there - you still have to know which one to use.) The class setting far exceeds the "DIY" in preparing a person for any exam. You will find that if you have a question, probably 10 other guys are scratching their head about the same thing. Funny, most adult learners are embarrassed to ask a question for fear of appearing ignorant. But that is where the real learning takes place. Enjoy yourself and know you are on the path to creating more wealth for you and your family

#20 ·
I took the calif. state cert . test passed test with relative :)ease, not bragging ,lots of studying? I found mike holts quizes a must , found them to be extremely helpful with out question ! On test day look at key words for each test question ,that your not sure of ,look up in the back of the code book ....mike holts test questions are verbatin relative to the state test...:jester: go over them again and again ,say 50 questions a day ..good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.