Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this has been mentioned here a lot, for those who work from home, can you count all your mileage or is your last appointment to home non deductible? I know going to lunch etc isn't deductible. Also, I have total of 3 trucks, same question for my guys on return home. I'm all ears for any info/advice on this subject, perhaps even a link to older thread. Thanks

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Surely this has been mentioned here a lot, for those who work from home, can you count all your mileage or is your last appointment to home non deductible? I know going to lunch etc isn't deductible. Also, I have total of 3 trucks, same question for my guys on return home. I'm all ears for any info/advice on this subject, perhaps even a link to older thread. Thanks
Deduct the business miles only and document it in a log book along with the time of day.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
All work/business miles are deductible as a contractor. As an employee, you can only deduct miles above just to and from work site.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, for instance, worker comes in morning and gets in truck and heads to first stop. Then 2nd stop, and then to lunch somewhere. From lunch to a 3rd stop and then back to my home. The ride to lunch wouldn't be deductible but would the ride back to my house be?

·
Registered
326 Posts
OK, for instance, worker comes in morning and gets in truck and heads to first stop. Then 2nd stop, and then to lunch somewhere. From lunch to a 3rd stop and then back to my home. The ride to lunch wouldn't be deductible but would the ride back to my house be?
Are you really nickel and dimeing your guys to that extent?
You will lose out in the long run.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Edrick said:
What does time of day have to do with business deductions?
Unless he is on an overtime job. Employees should not be driving company vehicles after work hours or in weekends. You know, grocery store, bowling league, mall etc. that is not tax deductible mileage.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Maybe talk to your accountant, since he/she does the actual paperwork on the issue.

In my opinion all travelling that is ANY way part of business, it's recordable and deductible. So driving back to the place where the WORK van is kept after hours, it's part of work and deductible.

But i'm not your accountant.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe talk to your accountant, since he/she does the actual paperwork on the issue.

In my opinion all travelling that is ANY way part of business, it's recordable and deductible. So driving back to the place where the WORK van is kept after hours, it's part of work and deductible.

But i'm not your accountant.
That's exactly my issue, my accountant seems to think that it isn't but didn't seem 100% about it. To me I see it just as you said it, should be deductible.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
The gov doesn't know how many supply house trips a particular job required, how many jobs that were looked at that you didn't get, or whether or not the employee went left 2.4 miles to Wendy's or hung a right and hit McD's 4 miles down the road.

Well they can probably find all that stuff out, but if there's someone from the IRS already watching your every move, you have bigger problems.:laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.