Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine a couple weeks ago and while the drill is good the case it comes in is not because it leave no room for drill bits and drivers. Whoever designed it must have never worked a day with a cordless drill. I may have to either put it in my old Makita case or buy a whole new Makita drill. Hey, I have my ways of doing things and this is becoming a bigger pain in the ass every day.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Yeah it's pretty annoying how they've been taking more of a shotgun approach to flood the market with new products that use their batteries while bosch and festool have been putting more into the system design.

Its pretty grating that you bought the flagship model with charger and all but have no storage, also pissed me off when when they stopped making the miter table for the deep cut bandsaw, but until somebody else starts making PEX expansion tools and PVC shears I guess m12 and I are sticking with each other.

·
Banned
549 Posts
I had this same problem. I gave up on using cases and switch to a tray.

The Husky $5 tray holds everything. Dozens of holesaws, even large 4 3/8" ones. Augers, self feeding bits, drill indexes, sets of spade bits, extensions, tackle box of different tips, etc.

It's all easy to access from the top, no need to find somewhere to put it and open it up like a normal case.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Yeah those trays look tempting, been eyeing them for years, gave them to some helpers.
Just couldn't bring myself to put power tools and cords in there yet.
How many can you stack loaded?

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Buy one of the small dewalt tough boxes, charger, drill index, impact driver and drill fit in main body with ease then spade bits, and holesaws up to 1 inch fit in the top lid part. Completely waterproof and lockable also.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this same problem. I gave up on using cases and switch to a tray.

The Husky $5 tray holds everything. Dozens of holesaws, even large 4 3/8" ones. Augers, self feeding bits, drill indexes, sets of spade bits, extensions, tackle box of different tips, etc.

It's all easy to access from the top, no need to find somewhere to put it and open it up like a normal case.

View attachment 32326

That's definitely an idea. I keep all of my M12 stuff in a similar plastic tote complete with batteries, flash lights, chargers, batteries and sawzall bits. Maybe I need to do the same with the cordless drill infrastructure. Thanks for the tip (hey, that's what she said!).

·
Banned
549 Posts
I have a lot of those Husky trays and use them often. I use one as my main tool carrier, take it everywhere that I go and work out of it.

I use a second one for all the rest of my normally used tools, I've found it easier to work out of the tray than any type of tool box or bag.

I use one for my 18V drill as mentioned about, it's really easy to work out of and I can keep a lot more bits and holesaws than in a normal drill case.

Then I load them up for jobs. For example, tomorrow I have a generator connection so in the truck is a tray loaded with everything, the inlet, breaker, interlock, the screws I will need, silicone, connectors, the generator cord and a coil of 10-3 are sitting on top.

Then I have another one loaded for Friday's job with the Dimmers and GFCI's I will need, the boxes and coverplates, hardware, etc.

For service changes I will load one tray up with everything needed inside and a second tray with the stuff needed for outside.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a lot of those Husky trays and use them often. I use one as my main tool carrier, take it everywhere that I go and work out of it.

I use a second one for all the rest of my normally used tools, I've found it easier to work out of the tray than any type of tool box or bag.

I use one for my 18V drill as mentioned about, it's really easy to work out of and I can keep a lot more bits and holesaws than in a normal drill case.

Then I load them up for jobs. For example, tomorrow I have a generator connection so in the truck is a tray loaded with everything, the inlet, breaker, interlock, the screws I will need, silicone, connectors, the generator cord and a coil of 10-3 are sitting on top.

Then I have another one loaded for Friday's job with the Dimmers and GFCI's I will need, the boxes and coverplates, hardware, etc.

For service changes I will load one tray up with everything needed inside and a second tray with the stuff needed for outside.

I'm always looking for newer and better ways of getting things done. It seems ridiculous to me that I used to NOT prep for any job aside from "I have it on the truck.". Now, I am prepping for everything like services, generators, kitchens - everything (including chicken n rice dinner). Also, I've been using plastic freezer bags to sort things like the nine billion different 3", 4" and 5" metal box covers. This system has worked well for me until i get a new van with more drawers and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
chewy said:
Buy one of the small dewalt tough boxes, charger, drill index, impact driver and drill fit in main body with ease then spade bits, and holesaws up to 1 inch fit in the top lid part. Completely waterproof and lockable also.
I was looking into the dewalt tough boxes, but I do alot of work on apartments without elevators, and lugging it up and down 2-15 flights of stairs doesn't seem like a great idea. You have the same problem? You just bear hug that bitch up the stairs Chewy?

This is the one I was looking at

Attachments

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I was looking into the dewalt tough boxes, but I do alot of work on apartments without elevators, and lugging it up and down 2-15 flights of stairs doesn't seem like a great idea. You have the same problem? You just bear hug that bitch up the stairs Chewy?

This is the one I was looking at
Yeah I just throw the boxes on ny shoulder or I just made a dolly for them.

·
Bababoee
9,186 Posts
I like milk crates. They stack easy, you can bungy them together, double as a wire reel holder, and they are Free...:) I don't keep the boxes tools come with... they take up to much space IMO..
I keep drill bits and such in my tool belt..
I also use a homer bucket that has doubled as a urinal...

was that too much information..?

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Does it have the siliconized rubber seals or weatherstripping to make it vaportight? In DC the humidity will get into everything that's not vaportight and rust it all to hell.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Does it have the siliconized rubber seals or weatherstripping to make it vaportight? In DC the humidity will get into everything that's not vaportight and rust it all to hell.
Rubber seals and a twist type seal to make it airtight that you undo to take on a plane.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.