Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a shipment from Milwaukee earlier this week, and I got to admit I thought their tools would be generic, but it looks like the spent their time and did research exclusively in our field. Does any one have any experience with their hand tools, how do the hold up?

Here is the link to my review if anyone is interested in the 6 in 1 linesman pliers

·
Registered
942 Posts
Some of their handtools are very gimicky, others are great. IMO the fastback utility knife is the best on the market. Screwdrivers arent bad ither. Love the exc drive. And their wearing about the same as kleins

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of their handtools are very gimicky, others are great. IMO the fastback utility knife is the best on the market. Screwdrivers arent bad ither. Love the exc drive. And their wearing about the same as kleins
I really like their wire strippers, they are by far the heaviest I have ever used. Really solidly built. Basically stocky needle nose with wire stripper integrated into them.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think their tools are pretty solid, especially the strippers. Just way over priced. I'm not paying close to $30 for a pair of strippers. If they brought the prices back down to earth, I might consider giving them a shot.

·
Part Time A hole
102 Posts
The strippers are amazing as far as I'm concerend ,the lock isn't really functional , and the fact that there's no looping hole took some getting used to but otherwise awsome. The ***** to me left a lot to be desired .. I bent the handles together rather qickly ... the scredrivers seem pretty good also...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've been a strong supporter of the Milwaukee strippers. I like the way they feel, and the usefulness of the needlenose.

I'm past threads, people have complained about the cutting edge. Sometimes it doesn't cut completely thru stranded wire due to the edge not extending far enough toward the pivot. If you mainly use solid wire, you likely haven't noticed the issue, but I can assure you, it is annoying.

The second issue is that there is exposed metal that your hand can unexpectedly touch if you ever work on live circuits (save the argument). The metal the lock clips to is easily contacted with your hand if you aren't careful.

The last problem I have is very minor, but is a nuisance to me. I don't wear a tool belt. I put my linemans and screwdriver in my back pocket and usually put one handle of my strippers in the corner of my front pocket. I've been doing this way for years. The Milwaukee brand stripper very often falls out of my pocket. I don't really know if it is a pocket issue or a tool issue. It sounds minor, but they are heavy and if they fall out on a customer's wood floor, there will be some damage to the floor.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've been a strong supporter of the Milwaukee strippers. I like the way they feel, and the usefulness of the needlenose.

I'm past threads, people have complained about the cutting edge. Sometimes it doesn't cut completely thru stranded wire due to the edge not extending far enough toward the pivot. If you mainly use solid wire, you likely haven't noticed the issue, but I can assure you, it is annoying.

The second issue is that there is exposed metal that your hand can unexpectedly touch if you ever work on live circuits (save the argument). The metal the lock clips to is easily contacted with your hand if you aren't careful.

The last problem I have is very minor, but is a nuisance to me. I don't wear a tool belt. I put my linemans and screwdriver in my back pocket and usually put one handle of my strippers in the corner of my front pocket. I've been doing this way for years. The Milwaukee brand stripper very often falls out of my pocket. I don't really know if it is a pocket issue or a tool issue. It sounds minor, but they are heavy and if they fall out on a customer's wood floor, there will be some damage to the floor.

That pretty much settles it for me. All three of those issues would be a problem.

I use a lot of stranded wire.
I do work on live circuits frequently.
I also carry my strippers in my front pocket exactly like you describe.

These are definitely not the strippers for me. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
826 Posts
By far these are one of the best strippers that I used. I've had no issues using them with appropriately sized stranded wire. They cut screws better than my Kleins ever did. They have a great feel , heavier than most and feel really comfortable in your hand. They actually function well as needle nose. For $27 that definitely worth every penny. As far as using them on live circuits I don't think they were ever intended for straight electrical work. They seemed better suited to control work. If you're looking for something that functions better for live electrical work try these: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-tools/pliers/48-22-3068

·
Registered
194 Posts

I was going to say the exact same thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I bought a few of their tools out of curiosity, the 6in1 combination pliers, the side cutters and linesmans.

Other than the plastic sliding lock on the combination pliers, I really can't complain about anything. The tool is what I expected of it, a lighter duty than standard needle nose we're all used to, but the versatility makes up for it.

Though I think for the majority of the work I keep running into, and the level of abuse I'm accustomed to subjecting needle nose to, I'd have been happier with the slightly beefier 6in1 long nose pliers. Which I'll probably buy next time I see them on the shelves.

To be honest if I didn't already own enough tools to make up 3 or 4 complete sets of tools, I'd probably buy more of their stuff. I only buy replacements or experiment with new tools that look like they might do something nothing I already have doesn't.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Yikes! Everyone likes the strippers.:eek::eek::eek:

I posted this back in February 2013...

Also I don't think they can ream.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
daveEM said:
Yikes! Everyone likes the strippers.:eek::eek::eek: I posted this back in February 2013... Also I don't think they can ream.
Thanks,
I almost bought a pair,, now I'll save for some other gizmo.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks,
I almost bought a pair,, now I'll save for some other gizmo.
The install pliers by Knipex have an amazing reamer which does the job without any question! The Milwaukee does function but it does leave a ribbing pattern which I am not overly fond of.

Maybe I should make a comparison between the Install pliers Vs. the 6 in 1 Combination Linesman Pliers

Without question the Install pliers are extremely well constructed, just the wire strippers are extremely limited.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The install pliers by Knipex have an amazing reamer which does the job without any question! The Milwaukee does function but it does leave a ribbing pattern which I am not overly fond of.

Maybe I should make a comparison between the Install pliers Vs. the 6 in 1 Combination Linesman Pliers

Without question the Install pliers are extremely well constructed, just the wire strippers are extremely limited.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvr7mDIU84E">YouTube Link</a>

I saw those pliers a while ago and have really wanted them ever since. The only thing that had been keeping me from pulling the trigger is I can't tell from the video and pictures how well it can per twist wires before putting them in a wire nut, since they only have that little needle nose point on them. What do you think of them nick?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw those pliers a while ago and have really wanted them ever since. The only thing that had been keeping me from pulling the trigger is I can't tell from the video and pictures how well it can per twist wires before putting them in a wire nut, since they only have that little needle nose point on them. What do you think of them nick?
They are extremely awesome, and have become my go to pocket tool, there is no doubt they are out performed by others tools, but they cover a ridiculous range of abilities. When I go a response call this tool, a multimeter and two screwdrivers are the first response tools I bring out. Well worth the money.

And they can twist wires extremely well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Nick, do you know where I could find knipex install pliers that are 1000v rated? I've seen pictures of them but nothing else. I've decided to pull the trigger on them

1 - 20 of 42 Posts