Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just out of school and I will be starting at an electrical company as an apprentice on Friday and I was doing some practice problems. One of them was the branch circuit and feeder calculations for both dwelling and commercial spaces. I know dwelling is easy to figure out how many outlets there are, as there included in the 3va per sqft. But what about commercial receptacles? Is there a minimum amount needed? Do you need to space them every so many feet like you do In dwellings? I've read just about every code article there is pertaining to this and I still can't find the answer. I even bought the nec handbook too. Any help will be apreciated!

Chris

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
I expect it's same as the CEC, in which the minimum is zero. Up to the
engineer to understand the usage of the area and provide appropriate
numbers. Keep in mind that usage varies greatly so providing a single
number would be useless. ie are we talking about a car wash, office space,
car show room, etc etc .
P&L

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
You're confusing receptacles required with load calcs. Dwellings are about two things when receptacles are involved. Spacing(along walls, counters. ect) and required (laundry, car stalls, outside). Commercial could care less. You put them where they are needed. Then calculate on 180va each( I think, without looking).

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
About the only required receptacles are show case windows. That's without looking but there are not many if any more.
Yep, and how many stores have show windows now? Least around here you don't see them so much. Maybe NY or Rodeo Drive .....

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,147 Posts
Yep, and how many stores have show windows now? Least around here you don't see them so much. Maybe NY or Rodeo Drive .....
Strip malls, malls in general, jewelry stores, clothing stores, outlet malls, there are still plenty state side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.