Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a video about a vacuum cleaner that has something that got me wondering what that is, the vacuum cleaner has its own power outlet on it so you can hook up tools like an electric sander, on the output rating it says MAX 1800W - MIN 100W, what is the MIN rating all about, well it cant be some sort of transistor output where you will requier a minimum current in order to get it to operate ?

The video link is below and the part where the Ratings is shown is on 1:02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what it does. Pretty cool feature. :thumbsup:
Does it have some kind of a CT or a hall sensor that measures current draw and kicks the vacuum in when there is current flow ?

cant see any other way to cause this to work

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It would not be a transistor, more likely a triac !
And triacs do require a minimum load
for cleanest switching with least amount of heat dissipation

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would not be a transistor, more likely a triac !
And triacs do require a minimum load
for cleanest switching with least amount of heat dissipation
If i recall this right, triacs and transistors has to have some heat in order to work right ?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You would, unless an interlock exists. It could be you need 100 watts of power to engage the interlock?
The whole point is that the vacuum comes on when you turn the sander, or whatever needs a vacuum, on. This is a real popular setup for woodworking shops with a permanent central vac system.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The whole point is that the vacuum comes on when you turn the sander, or whatever needs a vacuum, on. This is a real popular setup for woodworking shops with a permanent central vac system.
Didn't see that part. But still I would think the sander is limited to 9 amps for the vacuum?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts