Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clear this up for me, hoping someone has had the same situation before and inspector passed it.

I have a 200a service and installed a 30/60cct panel because the house has a gas furnace.

Am I violating 8-108(1cii) because its not an "electric" furnace and I actually should have installed a 40/80cct panel

8-108 Number of branch circuit positions
(1) For a single dwelling, the panelboard shall provide space for at least the equivalent of the following number
of 120 V branch circuit overcurrent devices, including space for two 35 A double-pole overcurrent devices:
(a) 16 — of which at least half shall be double-pole, where the required ampacity of the service or feeder
conductors does not exceed 60 A;
(b) 24 — of which at least half shall be double-pole
(i) where the required ampacity of the service or feeder conductors exceeds 60 A but does not
exceed 100 A; or
(ii) where the required ampacity of the service or feeder conductors exceeds 100 A but does not
exceed 125 A and provision is made for a central electric furnace;
(c) 30 — of which at least half shall be double-pole
(i) where the required ampacity of the service or feeder conductors exceeds 100 A but does not
exceed 125 A; or
(ii) where the required ampacity of the service or feeder conductors exceeds 125 A but does not
exceed 200 A and provision is made for a central electric furnace; and
(d) 40 — of which at least half shall be double-pole, where the required ampacity of the service or feeder
conductors exceeds 125 A and the dwelling is not heated by a central electric furnace.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,621 Posts
So what you are saying, is that because you have a 200 amp service, the inspector requires you to have a 40 (full size breaker) circuit panel.
Well I guess he is correct as per the code (pretty fn picky if I must say)
Never had an inspector that anal:eek:.
However if you read the code, why not do a service calculation, and if the service doesn't have to be the noted 125, than you should be alright. At least that's how I read the rule.
You put in a 200 because you're a nice guy:whistling2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.