Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A job I just finished is 'complete' and I have been signed off on everything but there is a control panel that was built by an automation contractor (who also did the steam piping) that is missing a listing label. This is preventing the inspector from signing us off on final inspection. Problem is, the guy who did the panel totally dorked up the steam system, had a big falling out with the owner. Needless to say we won't be getting any help from him with attaining the label. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Start looking for another shop that specializes in control systems and have them build you a new, listed panel. They can even use the now-worthless non-listed panel as a "prototype" to speed up (maybe..unless the loser dorked that up too) the process.

Either way the owner's gonna have a very large bill headed his way.

Oh, and don't forget to charge for the removal of the old panel and the installation of the new panel as a change order. :thumbup:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I've been asked more than once to hook up some weird piece of electrical equipment. Never have. It has created some problems and you often loose a customer. Lots of customers tho.

In Canada we are going against code if we connect a unapproved piece of electrical equipment. Some bad electricians out there tho.

·
3,670 Posts
And the biggest clue from Canada... don't hook up unlisted crap.

^^ I take that back. I shouldn't get involved in this trolling stuff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Yep, there are about 15 control panels in this place. This one was partially installed (mounted and vfd inside but not yet finished), I knew the pwr requirements so I piped to it and terminated my conductors, that's it. Obviously it never got finished because of what happened, so now we have a 'partial'. I guess the owner will need to bite the bullet and have a new listed CP built. Funny side note, the owner asked if I had a roll of 'stickers' that I could just slap on there. That would be nice.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Funny side note, the owner asked if I had a roll of 'stickers' that I could just slap on there. That would be nice.
Tell him sure, no problem, that'll be $10,000.00 in cash, unmarked bills, in advance.

Then go to another part of the job that has already been inspected, peel a sticker off of an inspected panel and slap it on. :thumbup:

·
3,670 Posts
I was doing work at a wealthy guys house. He had bought a fixture ( a blue blown glass pendant) that won 'fixture of the year' award at some show in Toronto. From Europe it of course had no sticker. The GC says just put it up.

I say no. At the time the Provincial Authority would list strange items if they tested them. I tell him take the fixture there and if they give him a sticker I'll hang it.

Calls back, has sticker, I'm thinking WTF? I decide to call in the sticker number... it's for a fluorescent fixture from a private fixture manufacturing plant.

The GC hung it. I was never asked to work on his projects again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know, my wife's friend's kid has been making light fixtures out of rigid fittings and beer/liquor bottles. Ill have to show her your post about the light.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Get the owner to pay for a UL inspection if he thinks it will pass..

Otherwise, the owner needs to get a new listed panel..

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I had thought some NRTL's do on site inspections for assemblies.....? ~CS~
Not supposed to. UL lists a panel shop partly based on their process, which includes an inspection of the facility, so some of the UL inspectors want to look at your records to ensure that all of the listed panel work is done at your listed facility and properly documented. In fact, if the original panel builder was building them on-site and labeling them, he was at risk for losing his UL 508 capability in my opinion. Everyone can assign their own level of risk though, he may have decided it was worth it (or he was faking it all along anyway).

Most panel shops I know will let you bring in a non-listed panel built elsewhere and for a fee, they will inspect it, document it and list it without necessarily making you buy all new parts, as long as the parts are all useable and listed. In some cases it may mean a redesign though, especially if the original builder was as sloppy as he was made out to be.

The other option is to pay UL to send an inspector out to apply the label in the field. Last time I had to do that, about 10 years ago, it was about $2000 plus travel expenses from the nearest UL office. No idea what it would cost now though. That sometimes opens a can of worms that nobody will like, i.e. he will see other panels that may not be right.

Reactions: glen1971

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
A job I just finished is 'complete' and I have been signed off on everything but there is a control panel that was built by an automation contractor (who also did the steam piping) that is missing a listing label. This is preventing the inspector from signing us off on final inspection. Problem is, the guy who did the panel totally dorked up the steam system, had a big falling out with the owner. Needless to say we won't be getting any help from him with attaining the label. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks
Why did you install without a UL listing?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was mounted, I connected to it before they were done, then the poop hit the fan. I didn't notice the lack of a label at the time, and all the other larger control panels were labeled. I'll never ASSume again though. Thatll be something I don't take for granted. I'm a new C-10, only been in the trade 10 yes so I'm still learning ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts