Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I had a guy who wants to get into the apprenticeship but was born with only one thumb asking me how to get in. Do you think he should apply and go for it anyways or would they more even consider it. He's very capable of functioning normally and wouldn't really even consider out a disability but I don't know how that would go working with your hands all day every day.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I once knew a machine repairman that was missing his right thumb and he did everything required of him without any difficulties.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
I would apply. I know a few disabled construction workers - missing all kinds of bits and pieces.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I had an ol guy that would say three thumbs up. He'd use his hands with thumbs up then kinda stick out his willy.:thumbup::thumbsup:
Wow........it was really as big as a thumb huh?? Lucky dude.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Hey everybody, I had a guy who wants to get into the apprenticeship but was born with only one thumb asking me how to get in. Do you think he should apply and go for it anyways or would they more even consider it. He's very capable of functioning normally and wouldn't really even consider out a disability but I don't know how that would go working with your hands all day every day.
If only ONE thumb is asking how he can get in his hand may not be serious.:eek:

·
13,020 Posts
I say go for it. And he'll definitely need one of these:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

He's fine,he will overcome not having a thumb and be a good worker.:thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
When he runs out of work and has to travel, how's he gonna hold his tools with his good hand and hitchhike with the other?

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I don't have my right thumb, and some people think I do okay at electrical work. :thumbsup:

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
I've an acquaintance, who has been an excellent, hard-working JW, Foreman, and GF. He was born with only three fingers on his right hand.

People find ways of compensating, he'll likely have very few problems adapting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts