Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys working on starting my own TECL business here in a couple of months. Im doing market research and developing a business plan and structure for my soon to be established company. Want to get yalls input on the mission statement and vision. See if either sound too corny or like I'm blowing smoke up the consumers ass. My current target market is over saturated with competition and I am trying to set myself apart as I enter the market. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.​

MS: COMMITTED TO PROVIDING HIGH CALIBER ELECTRICAL SERVICES FUELED BY INNOVATION AND DEDICATION.

VS: WHEN THE SUCCESS OF THE COMPANY BREEDS THE SUCCESS OF OTHERS.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
IMO... Both a MS and a VS are for internal use. No customer will give a rats ass about it (Sorry but it is true, what is Googles? Apples? Microsofts? General Electrics?)

Build this stuff for you, to keep you going in the direction you want to go. Who cares what anyone else thinks if it inspires you and moves you to make the company successful.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,147 Posts
IMO... Both a MS and a VS are for internal use. No customer will give a rats ass about it (Sorry but it is true, what is Googles? Apples? Microsofts? General Electrics?)

Build this stuff for you, to keep you going in the direction you want to go. Who cares what anyone else thinks if it inspires you and moves you to make the company successful.
Spot on!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,819 Posts

Totally Agree. Also your mission is used to measure performance indicators if you ever get to that point; so it has to be able to meet two criteria, it has to be observable and measurable.

One of the things I also see a lot of companies shy away from is the mention of making money or profit; yet that is the whole reason any of us go into business.

Lastly, while I think those are extremely worthwhile foundation documents, you might be better served by have a more robust business plan. While not as glamourous, it will serve you for years to come if done properly.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the observable and measurable criteria. Thanks for your input. I am building a business plan or at least in the process. I know my strengths and weaknesses and am humble enough to admit that I know half of what I think and have a lot to learn and grow.

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
I have a negative view of these things. Just meaningless pointless gibberish
created by middle manager types who rely on gibberish because they don't
do anything useful.
P&L

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
I have a negative view of these things. Just meaningless pointless gibberish
created by middle manager types who rely on gibberish because they don't
do anything useful.
P&L
I agree... but that is because they are never done for oneself. They are put in there like 99% of the other crap in a business plan because someone told you it needed to be in there.

Build the statements for yourself, as well as the plan. 99.9% of us will not be seeking an SBA loan, so don't waste the time and money building a business plan to suit them, build it as something that will guide you realistically, not some theoretical gibberish!

Reactions: ray_rodriguez15

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Ray... What type of work and customers are you looking to have? New construction, service, residential, commercial, industrial, oil.... ?

·
Hackenschmidt
13,231 Posts
MS: COMMITTED TO PROVIDING HIGH CALIBER ELECTRICAL SERVICES FUELED BY INNOVATION AND DEDICATION.
That one is no good. Electrical services are fueled by coal, gas, oil, nuclear reactions, the sun, the wind, or gravity acting on water. Are you sure you're ready for this exam?

Here's a good one for you to use.

Strive for excellence, exceed yourself, love your friend, speak the truth, practice fidelity and honor your father and mother. These principle will help you to master yourself, make you strong, give you hope and put you on the path to greatness.
Seriously - this crap is total bull****. It isn't leadership, it's something that's often substituted for actual leadership, which can't be canned so handily.

It's something for people to sit in a conference room and discuss, and pat each other on the back, and feel like they're doing something, while filling their day and never accomplishing anything that anyone gives a rat's tar star about.

Worse, most people know that this stuff is total bull**** and have seen places where it's been utter hypocrisy in their own workplace, and left a bad taste in their mouth. So just going on about a mission statement and vision statement is going to have the opposite of the desired effect on a lot of people.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,819 Posts
Seriously - this crap is total bull****. It isn't leadership, it's something that's often substituted for actual leadership, which can't be canned so handily.

It's something for people to sit in a conference room and discuss, and pat each other on the back, and feel like they're doing something, while filling their day and never accomplishing anything that anyone gives a rat's tar star about.

Worse, most people know that this stuff is total bull**** and have seen places where it's been utter hypocrisy in their own workplace, and left a bad taste in their mouth. So just going on about a mission statement and vision statement is going to have the opposite of the desired effect on a lot of people.
In fact you are right, if that is the case it is total lack of leadership not to follow the vision or mission. It is the lack of leadership that ultimately causes disdain with the peeps.

The statement does not need to be all flowerily (I don't even know if that is a word!)...

I have not given it much thought (about 45 seconds), but it could be as simple as this...

Vision: Promoting quality and service while providing code-compliant installations to our industrial, commercial and residential clients within the state of Texas.

Mission: Provide to our owners, investors and shareholders an annual rate of return ensuring that all applicable local, state and federal laws are adhered to. We will complete this by being competitive in the economical use of materials, resources and manpower; while maintaining adherence to acceptable practices for consumer protection and worker safety.

The vision gives a "theme" for everyone to get behind, while the mission is the "how to" with some parameters.

This would need a lot or wordsmithing, but it is a simple start and is not all rainbows and unicorns either.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys working on starting my own TECL business here in a couple of months. Im doing market research and developing a business plan and structure for my soon to be established company. Want to get yalls input on the mission statement and vision. See if either sound too corny or like I'm blowing smoke up the consumers ass. My current target market is over saturated with competition and I am trying to set myself apart as I enter the market. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.​

VS: WHEN THE SUCCESS OF THE COMPANY BREEDS THE SUCCESS OF OTHERS.
The tense of your mission statement should be more active; I suggest: To provide high caliber...

Your vision statement should explain where you want to see the company in an ideal future state. So, your current vision statement would work better as part of a value statement.

Realistically, mission, vision and value statements are only useful is your company is involved with branded CSR initiatives.

For a small business, I recommend using inbound marketing techniques to set yourself apart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
developing a business plan
I used to think that formal business plans were the way to go, because everybody said they were the way to go. Plan things out 1 year, 3 years, 5 years into the future, and use it to guide the development of your business.

Don't think that way anymore. Google "lean startup". Changed my thinking, that's for sure. Basically the lean philosophy says that businesses only exist to create value for their customers, and anything which the business does that fails to create value for the customer must be eliminated. Be prepared to turn on a dime, do A/B testing, make sure your KPI's (key performance indicators) align with what your customers want. That's all part of lean business management.

Your mileage may vary, but it made sense for me.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
:notworthy:

:jester:
~CS~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.