Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for a while, and a little scared facing the unknown.

I'm 30 years old, who needs to get a grip in life, and my graphics major isnt doing very well to support my family. So im looking into go into the electric trade.

1. Is this trade booming and work good prospect?

2. What are the proper steps to get into this industry? I looked around the net, either go to college and take the course, or just head to the local union(in my case, 353/636).

Sadly enough, i don't know anybody who's into trades. So this place is my last resort.

sorry for the long post. thank you.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I've been lurking here for a while, and a little scared facing the unknown.

I'm 30 years old, who needs to get a grip in life, and my graphics major isnt doing very well to support my family. So im looking into go into the electric trade.

1. Is this trade booming and work good prospect?

2. What are the proper steps to get into this industry? I looked around the net, either go to college and take the course, or just head to the local union(in my case, 353/636).

Sadly enough, i don't know anybody who's into trades. So this place is my last resort.

Get hired on with a licensed electrical contractor. Work one, maybe two years. Then apply to trade school. Get some trade experience first. GOOD LUCK. I am not trying to scare you away.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think it is a along wait to get into 353 like I heard 2 yrs some where.
Hamilton 105 is close but you need to find the first job and then put into join. The hospitals are booming and hvac is also going strong Good luck. The open shops are slow as well as the union ones but it is getting alot better as the year goes on try out west in the tar sands it was a walk through for labors I had heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting the first job into it. might be tough, if know nothing about it. thats why i thought trade course in college might help like in humber or george brown.

·
Registered
520 Posts
yep it does help
my Brother is taking an coarse at Mohawk right now go to their web site it is a 2 yr program i think.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Welcome to the forum...you might find the pay to be crap at first if you want to get into the trade at 30. I mean the pay is fine for me, for now, but I don't have to support a family on it. At this point nearly half of my meager pay goes to my car and insurance. Aside from that you'll also be investing it back into your tools/work clothes/etc.

In the union you get 35% of Journeyman wage for the first 1800 hours(pre-apprenticeship), which works out to about $12.73 an hour + benefits(which start after 6 months). Then after those 1800 hours you are paid 40% of J-man and are considered a "first term" apprentice even though that makes it sound like you are just starting out when really you just worked a bit over a year in the field. After that point every 1650 hours you complete a term and get moved 10% closer to a journeyman's wage up till 5th term/9000 hours after which you write the license exam. There is mandatory trade school after second, third and fourth terms. The union also requires that starting in second term you attend mandatory supplementary training courses every other Saturday morning. Basically ask yourself if you can do what you need to with these percentages of $36.37 (The journeyman rate for local 353) until you're licensed 5-6 years later.

One thing you could look into is Electrical College of Canada, located in Woodbridge by Islington and Steeles ave. They had a program to train pre-apprentices which I considered, but then got a new job. You might even have seen their signs in places around Toronto. It was definitely not the most cost-effective way to get into the trade but it could give you a leg up if you aren't that mechanically inclined yet.

If you don't go the route of the union you have to find a contractor who is ready to take on a completely green and inexperienced person. Not impossible but rarely advertised so you just have to sort of shop yourself around I guess. It worked for me. Sometimes a union contractor can also take on a person this way and sponsor them into the union. That also worked for me.

Take a look at the local 353 JAC website to get some (meager) info. These people are hard to get real information out of unless you poke and prod them with specific questions. The receptionist is a nice lady but she can't help you too much so you need the co-ordinator, her name is Dana Henriques. She should be able to tell you some stuff you'll find useful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts