Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Wyome
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when you add circuits to a mobile home? Romex underneath, uf, mc, conduit? Years ago an inspector told me adding circuits to a mobile home might not be the best thing to do as I could be violating the mobile home listing. I liked that idea. I could just tell customers that doing that would violate their warranty and I don't want to be responsible. There is usually nothing good to strap to under there anyway. And I don't like crawling around below those things any way. Sewer leaks, animal droppings, tight spaces.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Around here, those are the rules. The mobile was wired at the factory and not intended to be added to. For example, if we add an AC unit, the circuit needs to originate at the service equip outside the home and not the house panel.

That being said, when i add a circuit to a mobile, i cut a 12" square in the wall so i can reach the bottom of the panel and also see the bottom plate for drilling. Forget trying to fish thru the belly pan, so i just run a cable in a 3/4 inch pvc conduit over to wherever, and cover the wall with plastic access panel.

edit: the conduit is just stubbed into the belly pan (fabric) underneath. No need to terminate the conduit on both ends. That's where all the other cable is anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Around here we do it all the time. Most of the time we use mc or uf we crawl under and handle. We just make sure no wires are touching the ground or else we will get a call back when they try and sell the place

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,323 Posts
Read 550.15(H)

(H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where
outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal,
or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage,
it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate
metal conduit, except as provided in (1) or (2). The
conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.
(1) Where closely routed against frames and equipment
enclosures, reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(RTRC) listed for aboveground use, Type MI cable,
electrical metallic tubing, or rigid polyvinyl chloride
conduit (PVC) shall be permitted.
(2) Where extending vertically from a direct-burial depth
of at least 457 mm (18 in.) below grade and terminated
to a factory-installed conduit or enclosure, Schedule 80
PVC or RTRC listed for exposure to physical damage.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
Just this past week I had a woman, a trailer home owner, tell me how rich I would be if I handed out business cards in trailer parks, because everyone needs work done. I don't know what it's like in other areas, but around here trailer parks aren't the first places I think of when I think about places to work where I know I will get paid. No thanks

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Just this past week I had a woman, a trailer home owner, tell me how rich I would be if I handed out business cards in trailer parks, because everyone needs work done. I don't know what it's like in other areas, but around here trailer parks aren't the first places I think of when I think about places to work where I know I will get paid. No thanks
Here is what mobile homes will cost you where we work...

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1555-Merrill-St-SPC-112-Santa-Cruz-CA-95062/82972163_zpid/

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Around here, those are the rules. The mobile was wired at the factory and not intended to be added to. For example, if we add an AC unit, the circuit needs to originate at the service equip outside the home and not the house panel.
How do you do that when the NEC doesn't allow more than one feed to a structure?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What do you guys do when you add circuits to a mobile home? Romex underneath, uf, mc, conduit? Years ago an inspector told me adding circuits to a mobile home might not be the best thing to do as I could be violating the mobile home listing. I liked that idea. I could just tell customers that doing that would violate their warranty and I don't want to be responsible. There is usually nothing good to strap to under there anyway. And I don't like crawling around below those things any way. Sewer leaks, animal droppings, tight spaces.
I go from main panel and use conduit depends obviously on what im installing. I dislike uf cable, just my opinion.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I thought so too until I landed a mobile home contract fixing their services. Its been a decent money maker.

·
Registered
596 Posts
On new services for mobile homes I always install a Midwest 200 amp/meter box with a 12 circuit panel combo. Anything you want to add I leave an empty 2" pvc stub out the bottom of the panel,just drop the u/f underground. To get back under the mobile home hole saw whatever size pipe you are using in the bottom of the skirting.The rest is old work!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,323 Posts
That is usually the way it is done here but I agree with the other post as that would be a technical violation of 225.30. Also that must be a local amendment that you have as there is no nec rule that states you cannot add to a trailer. It may be in the trailer manufacturers instructions tho.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,323 Posts
I normally run a carflex under trailer. Cash in advance is my normal procedure. They almost always understand.
I always had problems getting money from trailer owners - never got burnt but came close to many times. Now I don't mess with them

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,355 Posts
Never had a problem getting paid. Around here they are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. People have to have money to afford a mobile home....sounds funny, but it is true. On top of that house payment, they are saddled with space rents that could rival most peoples mortgage payments.

At one point, there was a park in the Santa Cruz area that had mobiles that were going for close to a million. The park is on the ocean.

·
Now, one of the old guys!
103 Posts
Back when I had my own shop I put in a new panel and a heating contractor I worked with installed a new furnace and Ac. We kept trying to get paid, even went to court and got them served with a small claim notice. The next thing we know they pulled up the trailer and disappeared! Did not try to look for them just wrote it off. That was one of the reasons I quit working for myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.