Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you guys wire services for Mobile Homes? I do a couple every year. I just was wondering if there is a better way or better products to use than how I have been doing them.

When we do them there is a meter loop on a utility pole about 50' to 100' from the mobile home set by the Power Company.

For a 200 amp mobile home service we trench & lay in 4/0,4/0,2/0 AL URD from Meter loop to a 200 amp NEMA 3 load center w/ main & extra breaker spaces mounted on a set of PT posts and PT Plywood approx. 5 foot from exterior of the Mobile home.

URD from Meter Loop gets terminated on Line side of MB of course, then we trench and lay in a 4/0,4/0,2/0, AL URD with a # 2 AL ground from the 200 amp NEMA 3 Load Center to the Panel inside mobile home and it is treated as a sub panel,

Hot conductors from NEMA 3 Load center to mobile home sub feed are fed off of a feed-thru lug kit on the (load side) buss of the NEMA 3 Load Center. Neutrals and grounds go on Neutral/ground bar lugs.

MB on the NEMA 3 Load center acts as the Main Service Disconnect.
Meter Loop ( from POCO) has side arm disconnect built in no main breaker just lugs to land conductors going to the NEMA 3 load center.
We drive 2 grounds rod 6 foot apart and terminate in NEMA 3 Load Center put a WR GFCI Receptacle with bell box and in use cover off to the side with 20 amp OCPD

This always passes inspection. Do you guys do anything differently? Just asking. These Mobile homes are often permanent dwellings for home owners even though they are not considered permanent structures because they can be moved, or upgraded.

Just curious if there is a better way?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I install a 200 amp meter main between two 6x6 posts within 25 feet of the home and run 2-1/2" PVC to the home feed the proper sized wire and done. Don't forget to also run your conduits for cable and telephone. Even if they decide not to have cable and telephone it allows them a way to get their satellite cables into the home without running them all over the outside.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
WE do `em all the time.

Use a feed-thru panel, same as the OP for most of it, except --

All our conductors are type XHHW installed in PVC conduit.
No direct-bury wires here. :no:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I use the little 3R panel with a few spaces and feed through lugs. It's pretty cheap.

Be careful running URD inside the trailer to it's panel. Most URD is dual-rated as XHHW, which is compliant. If you're buying straght POCO type URD, it's not rated for use inside the building.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts