Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently a first year apprentice in my local JATC with 4 weeks remaining in Book 1. Life circumstances have dictated that I move across the country in 6 weeks. I've contacted the local JATC where I am moving and they said that while they do not accept apprentice transfers, if I were to apply and get in I could submit the work and school hours I've done so far for credit.
So my dilemma is what to tell my local JATC. I would like to continue working up until I move in order to save as much money as possible, but am afraid that if I tell them I am planning on leaving they will go ahead and remove me from the program immediately. I've aced all my tests in school and have done well in the field getting "atta boy's" regularly at work. I want to leave as graciously as possible without shooting myself in the foot. Is the "2 weeks notice" etiquette acceptable here? If anyone has any experience or advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm confused....you're being transferred to a local who hasn't accepted you ?

'splain?

~CS~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not being transferred. I'm moving for personal reasons. They do not accept transfers so i have to apply as an incoming first year apprentice just like everyone else.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I would probably let the know ASAP.
It's one thing that the new local won't accept transfers, that's their policy, but if a current company laid you off because of life circumstances (not a transfer, Steve) then that's probably not a company/local I would be proud to be a part of.

I'm sure the advanced credit would be a huge head start in the new local, as far as being accepted quickly.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
Tell your current local about your move. You want them to back up your work claims etc. and you want to leave them on the best terms possible.

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
Tell your current local about your move. You want them to back up your work claims etc. and you want to leave them on the best terms possible.
And on the other hand, would they give you two weeks notice? You are working for a contractor that wouldn't do that but, I think letting the director know, might even help. He might know the director you are going to.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm not being transferred. I'm moving for personal reasons. They do not accept transfers so i have to apply as an incoming first year apprentice just like everyone else.
Please pardon my eyeglass denial then

~CS~

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
And on the other hand, would they give you two weeks notice? You are working for a contractor that wouldn't do that but, I think letting the director know, might even help. He might know the director you are going to.
That is what I meant, let the training director know...ie the local. Then the local can arrange a replacement for him on the job, put his work record in order and 'retire' him out of the local in an orderly fashion - no hard feelings.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
A person would think the one local would talk to the the other local and maybe get something going. Aren't union guys like a brotherhood or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think the conclusion I've come to is to let my training director know sooner than later. The money i could make short term is not worth the risk of tarnishing my reputation with the union long term. Not to mention it falls in line with my personal principle of being honest. Thanks again!

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
I do not expect you will be back in an IBEW apprenticeship any time soon. Or, at least as quickly as you expect.

You are, in my opinion, short of moving to take care of an ill parent, making a choice you'll regret.

You may consider that "life dictates" something to you, but in my experience, people make their own choices, good or bad,

If it is for a woman, she'll still be waiting for you when complete your program, if she is meant to be.

·
332 Posts
ibuzzard said:
I do not expect you will be back in an IBEW apprenticeship any time soon. Or, at least as quickly as you expect.

You are, in my opinion, short of moving to take care of an ill parent, making a choice you'll regret.

You may consider that "life dictates" something to you, but in my experience, people make their own choices, good or bad,

If it is for a woman, she'll still be waiting for you when complete your program, if she is meant to be.
Wow...

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
T K, I am a bit older than you, with two grown sons in the IBEW, one a recently turned-out JW, the other just completing his 4th year.I have a married daughter, also.

Each of them, in their second year, or thereabout, considered dropping out, for different reasons. I did the right thing, and gave them pretty much the exact advice.

Each has now thanked me for being adamant in my counsel. It is hard to get in, in the first place, way harder to get accepted a second time.

The five years goes really quick,although to youth, it sometimes seems to drag.

I have been your age, and I have been my age, having raised three to adulthood. Have you?

People make rash decisions, I've made a few myself. My advice is sincere, and I think warranted.

Reactions: sparky970

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Having walked away from your first apprenticeship after a year, you may not get another chance. They try to weed out the people that they don't think will complete the apprenticeship and based on your history, you would be a gamble

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
An ibew apprenticeship is not a golden ticket or some great and holy opportunity. If you've got a good reason for moving then the apprenticeship would be the least of my worries

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I think the conclusion I've come to is to let my training director know sooner than later. The money i could make short term is not worth the risk of tarnishing my reputation with the union long term. Not to mention it falls in line with my personal principle of being honest. Thanks again!
I agree that you should contact your director. Thank you being part of OUR IBEW, with your ethics I would think you will be able to get into another program. Although being an IBEW apprentice is no golden ticket it does garnish respect from many including merit shops if you have completed the program. The merit shops may not agree with all we do but for the most part we are well trained. Porkerjack pm me I may know someone where your going that may be able to point you in a good direction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts