Electrician Talk banner

more stolen copper

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Bkessler 
#1 ·
Date: 2008-10-12, 10:36AM PDT

I need 100 ft of 3/0 wire that some vandals stole from my office--attn vandals-knock it off, you're going to get yours-stop stealing from people
chuck 951 23...51

On todays craigslist.

#3 ·
Gee, I hear a lot of this going on lately, things must be pretty desperate for some.
I've even read in our local newspaper about bronze plaques been removed in cemetaries, copper buss bars of sections of railway lines, man-hole covers over street footpaths and pathments. Surely the scrap metal yard operators must know what these items are, I blame them as much as the thieves.

#7 ·
Had one of our shop trucks broke into about 5 months ago. Since then put up to outdoor cameras. They stuck again 2 weeks ago, smashed out side window, then smashed back window, then used tin snips they stold from gutter conmpanys truck next door to cut a hole in the cap to get to the back. All that work for a few roles of 12 stranded. Since last breakin we dont keep tools in trucks anymore. Now we dont keep copper in them either and leave all doors unlocked so they can open everything to see its empty except for some useless materials. By the way, the cameras didnt help.:censored:

#10 ·
My foreman gave me some unused bundles of 8 or 6/0 at the end of one of our projects. He also gave me the remnants of the existing feeder cables after they cut them.

I got 150 bucks from those alone.

I have more bundles of unstripped wire than I know what to do with.

#11 ·
ce2two

:notworthy:thank china ,construction boom has been going on for some time , copper ,steel prices ?????????? china owns america we have no say ...thanks george " b' he's on his way out:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Well copper is WAY down around here.
I got over $3.00 just a few months ago. Right now clean bright is getting $2.00 even. Not even worth it to turn in anything at this point. :no:

#13 ·
in orleans parish you gotta give up your fingerprints now to sell copper ( and only copper) i was at a yard two weeks ago and two thugs came in with stolen copper pipe - bolt cutters fell out of the truck they were in when they got there and all the pipes had been broken off or cut with bolt cutters , brand new :censored: too - both guys were drinking when they unloaded and the scrap yard refused to take their copper - after the copper urns were stolen from grave sites here (yes that happend here - maybe elsewere too but it made a big stink here) scrap yards have had cops in them detectives in the parking lots and so forth

#18 ·
We've got a job going where one of the other trade's apprentice was caught red handed (they let him leave the job site before they stopped him) with a brand new 1000' spool of #6. He also had the box of cuttings of our feeders in his car. When they searched his house, they found the plumber's 3" and 4" fittings and ball valves.

When the foreman said the company would press charges, he said
"You're gonna ruin my life":no:

#19 ·
I'm working in north Philly about 100 yards from a homeless shelter with 300 men in it. We've been careful and lucky we haven't had any problems until Tues. when I got a delivery of 3 spools of big MC. 2 of them were 3 X 3/0 + # 6 at 270' and one was 3 X # 1 + # 6 at 250'. It was about $5000 for all 3 spools. Wed. morning when I got to work one of the 270' spools of 3/0 MC at about $ 7 a foot was gone. It weighed 670 lbs. We figured it had to be an inside job because it was only on the job a day. I've been robbed so many times working in the city, I just call the police, right up a report, tell the boss and go back to work. The super and my apprentice have never been on a job that got robbed. They took it personal. They started doing some investigating. There was fresh concrete poured at the end of the day, the day before right inside the rear entrance. The super and the concrete finisher were the last ones to leave, and the concrete was perfect. Now there was scuff marks like someone was trying to hid there foot prints. They screwed up and still left a few shoe prints. Sneakers. The laborer was always getting yelled at for wearing sneakers to work. Sure enough the laborers shoes matched. They took him away.

#21 ·
nice detective work, We once pinned an inside job to the only person who smoked Benso and Hedges on a job once. When the guys boss was notified he said the guy was troubled and suspected we were right. Although it was never actually proved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.