Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard of people using wall type occupancy sensor switches (mounted to the ceiling) to motion activate closet lights. How well does this work and any tips as to where exactly to locate it? This is a standard depth closet, not a walk-in.

·
13,020 Posts
Just get a ceiling mounted one. I've never used one for that application, because it's not really frickin difficult to flip the switch in the closet, but I believe they make line voltage ceiling occupancy sensors that'd work. A bit spendy though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lurton makes a fluorescent light fixture with a built in motion sensor, or they even sell a motion sensor relay which connects to the fixture with a wireless IR sensor where u can mount anywhere. Kind of speedy tho, we got a quote for 160 for the fixture/sensor combo non wireless.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Last house every closet I put in lutron occupancy switches, single gang box mounted on inside door wall. I put them standard switch height, that way if the customer just wanted standard switches in the future, they could do that. They have 180degree field of view, so they work.. I just don't know about when they're stuffed full of crap like a normal house.

Ceiling could work better, but there's no option for changing the sensor switch out with a normal switch.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did a house that had motions in closets. One went bad so we replaced it. Few months later same closet went bad. Changed it to a switch. Flipped the switch on and found out why it went bad twice. The fixture had a faulty bulb that was starting the fixture on fire. Luckily i was there and seen it

·
Registered
439 Posts
I simply use a mechanical limit switch mounted to the door frame. Open... ON. Close... OFF. Foolproof. And, as an industrial guy, they are cheap too.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
RAB makes motion sensors that attach to fluorescent tube fixtures.

These work good and are instant on. They are also surprisingly bright.

I simply use a mechanical limit switch mounted to the door frame. Open... ON. Close... OFF. Foolproof. And, as an industrial guy, they are cheap too.
And they are time consuming to install. I use them a lot as well, but many don't want to pay for the extra labor.

Last house every closet I put in lutron occupancy switches, single gang box mounted on inside door wall. I put them standard switch height, that way if the customer just wanted standard switches in the future, they could do that. They have 180degree field of view, so they work.. I just don't know about when they're stuffed full of crap like a normal house.

Ceiling could work better, but there's no option for changing the sensor switch out with a normal switch.
And this is what I did at my own home, since the previous owner already put the switches inside the closets.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I usually wire them through a ceiling mounted OS. Can get somewhat expensive but I'll bet it's cheap and cleaner than hacking a door switch into the jam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts