Electrician Talk banner

Motion Detection

1437 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  John Valdes
Hello,

Is there an analog way to wire several lights with several motion detectors to all trigger at the same time? I have several flood lights on motion sensors that currently trigger independently, but I would like all of them to trigger when any of the motion detectors detect motion.

I have previously tried several independent micro-controllers with WiFi and relay to control the lights, which would grant me several options, but that proved out of the range of those devices and probably a risk to the next guy trying to repair an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Currently, I have them wired to trigger independently, i.e. one sensor to one light, basically one circuit to the breacker. The problem I have with wiring them in parallel is that the floodlights are 500+watts depending on location, so running several in parallel is a hail mary option. Its not so much a wiring problem as it is, what products exist that help me do this to break the circuits apart for amperage. Though, I guess the trade off of higher gauge wiring with bigger breakers does exist--just doesn't seem safe.

· Super Moderator
Florida, USA
9,231 Posts
As long as you don't exceed the load rating of the motion sensor you can parallel your lights.
If you have more lights than the motion sensor is rated for, you have 2 options:
Use a relay at each motion sensor to control the parallel lighting circuit, or,
Find motion sensors with sufficient rating.

· Registered
206 Posts
How many lights is several? Could you use LED lamps to reduce the load? What type of fixtures are they now? You say 500W, are they halogen T3? Terrible lifespan.
A multi-pole contactor or two, or however many you need with the sensors paralleled to the coils seems simple enough if the power wiring is all accessible at a common location.

· Super Moderator
Florida, USA
9,231 Posts
How many lights is several? Could you use LED lamps to reduce the load? What type of fixtures are they now? You say 500W, are they halogen T3? Terrible lifespan.
A multi-pole contactor or two, or however many you need with the sensors paralleled to the coils seems simple enough if the power wiring is all accessible at a common location.
@Kawicrash thanks for mentioning the load. I had missed that part when I trippped up on "breacker" which inspired me to check OP's profile to see if he's a bona fide sparky.

Multi-pole contactor for sure, unless as you say, lighten up on the load.

I think part of his question is, though, if he can parallel motion sensors, and the answer is yes, as long as they're on the same branch circuit.

This thread should probably go over to DIY.

Retired
18,681 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com.
However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.