Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a stairway 3 way situation where the 3 way switches operate a light at the top and a light at the bottom of the stairs (only two 3 way switches operating two lights, not two sets of 3 way switches,,,, just to be clear) , in a house with no attic access, basement ceiling finished, lots of nice vintage wainscotting,,,,, the whole house was rewired years ago but whoever did the wiring didn't rewire the 3 ways.

My question is, what are your thoughts about a motion sensor at the top of the stairs operating the upstairs light and a motion sensor at the bottom of the stairs operating the bottom light? There is constant power close by to feed each motion sensor and the lights are very close by.

The sensors, I believe, can be set to not trigger the lights if daylight is present. Even if this isn't the case, the home owners wouldn't care if the stairway lights were triggered on during the day then automatically turned off after 5 minutes. In their words, "compared to the expense, the damage and repair work required to actually rewire the 3 ways, the sensor idea is a dream".

P.S. To be clear, every other option has been considered, like all of you, many times to solve a 3 way situation I have run "3 wire" down into the basement across ceilings, up a chase into the attic and across the attic to the second 3 way. In this case such a route is out of the question, just saying.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Apparently the house was rewired and the travelers between the two switches were left out.
Check NEC article 210.70(A)(2) for exceptions that allow other types of lighting control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts