Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a query concerning a Motor Control Center (MCC)feeding 3-phase 575V motor loads.

Do MCC usually have a feature to automatically trip the circuit feeding 3-phase motors, if a phase is lost? OR would the motor still run off two phases, overload and then eventually burn out?

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most of the MCC I've seen and put together don't have them. I see them on the substations we use up stream from the Motor Control Centers.

ABB and Eaton make decent phase monitors which as mentioned before can be installed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your inputs. Integrating phase loss relay into the existing MCC seems to be a straight forward solution to mitigate this issue, because replacing motors when they burn out due to phase loss is much more expensive endeavor.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
And if not, some of the cheapest (cost not quality) 3 phase line monitor relays can be purchased at AC supply stores, like the Carrier store. Buying the same items from electrical suppliers seems to double the cost.

Reactions: daks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.