Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to have retapped a 230 motor to 460 in a pump. the motor start has a Suenn Liang transformer (Model SP-TBS) in it.

There is not schematic for the transformer.

the transformer is rated at 230 460

listed output on the transformer is 24v and 110v

to i need to retap this transformer to work at 460 or should it be okay to use as is

thanks

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
If the line voltage is 460 you need to retap the transformer or get one of the new Ideal smoke bags to catch all the smoke a 230 VAC tapped xmfr will emit when 480 is placed across the primary under load and the controls see somewhere in the neighborhood of 48 volts.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
i need to have retapped a 230 motor to 460 in a pump. the motor start has a Suenn Liang transformer (Model SP-TBS) in it.

There is not schematic for the transformer.

the transformer is rated at 230 460

listed output on the transformer is 24v and 110v

to i need to retap this transformer to work at 460 or should it be okay to use as is

thanks
oh ya man just re tap it for sure oh ya voltage and stuff

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,147 Posts
If there are 4 terminals on the primary side, and the two outside terminals are connected to the incoming lines and also connected to the terminals next to them, then it is a simple two-winding dual-voltage transformer.

To re-connect for 460, leave the incoming lines on the two outside terminals, remove the jumpers, and install the jumpers on the two center terminals.

If it is not connected exactly as described above, do not re-connect anything until you've described exactly how many terminals and how they're connected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there are 4 terminals on the primary side, and the two outside terminals are connected to the incoming lines and also connected to the terminals next to them, then it is a simple two-winding dual-voltage transformer.

To re-connect for 460, leave the incoming lines on the two outside terminals, remove the jumpers, and install the jumpers on the two center terminals.

If it is not connected exactly as described above, do not re-connect anything until you've described exactly how many terminals and how they're connected.

Thanks. Here are the photos to review and hopefully be able to provide me with the correct wiring to retap

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It looks like l4 is on your common terminal and l2 needs to move over to the 440 tap, and that should be all it needs, I can't see where a jumper would be from the picture

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hippie said:
It looks like l4 is on your common terminal and l2 needs to move over to the 440 tap, and that should be all it needs, I can't see where a jumper would be from the picture
Are you saying to swap L2 and L3?

I've never messed with transformers before

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
No, you have 3 terminal s on line side, the outer and inner terminal (how its wired now) is half the winding. The two outer terminal s are the full winding which you need for hi voltage connection.. basically same as connecting a motor for hi or lo voltage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts