Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing electrical work for some 20 years, I recently took a job with a large company and the have hundreds of motors and starters. I am lost needing help, i have checked you tube and such but only found bin 95.com. I was a residential/commercial electrician with very little motor control experience which they knew upon hiring me. I am looking for videos explaing motor starters, relays, contactors control wiring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

· zap
1,352 Posts
I have been doing electrical work for some 20 years, I recently took a job with a large company and the have hundreds of motors and starters. I am lost needing help, i have checked you tube and such but only found bin 95.com. I was a residential/commercial electrician with very little motor control experience which they knew upon hiring me. I am looking for videos explaing motor starters, relays, contactors control wiring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Try this book. http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/AT/Elec_Mtr_Ctrls.htm

· Registered
5,749 Posts
Reactions: thorne

Retired
18,682 Posts
How did you get the job if you are "lost" as you say?
If you have lots of motors and starters, you probably have instrumentation. PLC's and drives.
I hope you can get up to speed asap. We here can try and help as much as possible. But in the end it's experience that trumps everything else.
Experience can even cover up defects regarding the lack of knowledge in a particular discipline.
Just keep in mind that every single one of us had to learn and we all have to keep learning if we are to be successful.
I am retired and I still try my best to keep up. Good Luck and do not hesitate to ask the questions.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get the job if you are "lost" as you say?
If you have lots of motors and starters, you probably have instrumentation. PLC's and drives.
I hope you can get up to speed asap. We here can try and help as much as possible. But in the end it's experience that trumps everything else.
Experience can even cover up defects regarding the lack of knowledge in a particular discipline.
Just keep in mind that every single one of us had to learn and we all have to keep learning if we are to be successful.
I am retired and I still try my best to keep up. Good Luck and do not hesitate to ask the questions.
Thanks for the reply, i did expect some negative feedback, I should of mentioned that in my interview i told the head of the electrical department that I lacked skills in motors and pkc and such, they told me id be ok and they were here to help me learn.... However, I am not the type to sit back and wait i wanna learn as much as possible, i have just not had the opportunity to get my hands dirty in these items. I do ask questions but like most people they just don't wanna come off any information. Thank you for replying though. I am extremely confident in my electrical skills just not on industrial situations

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9YzhWigxE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb9ZnQubim4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ZRlmLmbV0&feature=related

Not a video, but there used to be a really good on-line learning center called Kilowatt Classroom. It's gone now, but some of his archives still exist. Here's the one on overload relays and motor starters.

http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/MotorOL.pdf
Thank you for your reply i looked into it and it looks like an awesome website.. I appreciate it alot.

· Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,901 Posts
Mike52876 said:
Here is a Square D wiring book for you.
Remember that on a motor control, Auto is the complete control process including safeties.
Hand will normally be only safeties & interlocks.
It won't take you long to catch on.

Google motor control center wiring diagrams, air handler wiring diagrams and things of that nature. Just to get your feet wet.
The construction book store has some pretty good books also.

Welcome to a great site.
You will find a lot of bright people here that can normally answer just about everything.
But remember, they love pictures. :)

Retired
18,682 Posts
Motor Starters and Contactors are the same thing with the exception that Motor Starters have overload protection and contactors do not.
Lets not confuse him any more than we have to.
You are right, motor starters and contactors are exactly the same thing. But, you can easily use a OL relay with either of the two.
OL relays can be mounted remotely as well as piggy backed (same brand, style and size) to any contactor/starter.

· Registered
12,135 Posts
WOW. You took a job damn well knowing that you had to have knowledge o:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:f motors and controls. Yet you have none:censored:
I think you have this backwards, you should be saying to the employer "damn, you hired a guy that told you he didn't have a lot of experience in motors and controls?".

Actually, if you think about it, even with motor controls you still need to run conduit and pull wire. You don't need a lot of motor experience to do this. Someone can instruct you and cut you loose. Maybe, the employer needs someone with good construction skills. He might have plenty of prima donna motor control guys and is looking for a good "construction" guy. Maybe he needs someone with a good attitude and figures he can teach him the rest.

Congrats to the OP. Keep your good attitude and don't listen to the naysayers. You will do just fine, your new boss heard you and doesn't expect you to perform above your level. He is probably going to give you opportunities to learn that you didn't have before. Embrace them, learn, give it all you have and I bet it's a win/win for you and your boss.

· Registered
746 Posts
heavysparky said:
WOW. You took a job damn well knowing that you had to have knowledge o:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:f motors and controls. Yet you have none:censored:
He told them he had no experience, they said they would hire him and help him learn, therefor it's on them, if I was looking for a job and they said they would hire me without the experience needed, I'd take it too.

· Banned
24 Posts
Everyone that has MC experience has been given a chance to learn it from someone else. You have been give the opportunity to learn it. What you have to keep in your head is do not over react. A Motor does what? How do you get them to do what you want them to do? I would suggest you spend the week examine each motor. Look how they are wired draw a print from each one. This will be a start. Scroll up someone left you a like to a bookstore. Buy the book, and read your code book. Have no fear just a positive additude and sense and you will do fine.

· Registered
565 Posts
He told them he had no experience, they said they would hire him and help him learn, therefor it's on them, if I was looking for a job and they said they would hire me without the experience needed, I'd take it too.
See I wouldn't take the job. I wouldn't want to get blamed for longer then normal down times. Since I would be lacking the experience to troubleshoot the problem. But that is just me

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hardworkingstiff said:
I think you have this backwards, you should be saying to the employer "damn, you hired a guy that told you he didn't have a lot of experience in motors and controls?".

Actually, if you think about it, even with motor controls you still need to run conduit and pull wire. You don't need a lot of motor experience to do this. Someone can instruct you and cut you loose. Maybe, the employer needs someone with good construction skills. He might have plenty of prima donna motor control guys and is looking for a good "construction" guy. Maybe he needs someone with a good attitude and figures he can teach him the rest.

Congrats to the OP. Keep your good attitude and don't listen to the naysayers. You will do just fine, your new boss heard you and doesn't expect you to perform above your level. He is probably going to give you opportunities to learn that you didn't have before. Embrace them, learn, give it all you have and I bet it's a win/win for you and your boss.
Thanks for your input, its all good. I am a strong conduit runner and terminator, just lack the industrial side of schematics and starter buckets... Its all good though I had some real good guys take me under their wing. As far as downtime like you mentioned we work in pairs 2 electricians at a time. So one of knows what we doing at least. Thank you all for the encouraging words.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.