Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Thought I'd register since I've been reading the posts for awhile. Been in the motor business for going on 40 years. I'll answer any questions I can about electric motors.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
I thought motor windin' was a lost art - we got a shop that does that here in town - been here for like 80 years or something of the like

welcome to the forum

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Welcome to the forum

You're still on that? :laughing:

I think I understand, but want to be sure. Here's what i think I gathered from that thread. The WYE side of a Wye /delta motor should be used for starting only.

But if the motor had been a WYE motor, it would have been fine. Is that a fair assumption?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I understand, but want to be sure. Here's what i think I gathered from that thread. The WYE side of a Wye /delta motor should be used for starting only.

But if the motor had been a WYE motor, it would have been fine. Is that a fair assumption?
I did read that thread. You were talking two different issues. The transformer connection and the motors' internal connection.

Like was said in that thread, the motor doesn't care where the juice is coming from, as long as it's connected right in the J-box. Six lead wye/delta motors are for reduced voltage starting on wye, then full voltage running on delta. (reduced voltage being the voltage across the stator coils in the series connected motor.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought motor windin' was a lost art - we got a shop that does that here in town - been here for like 80 years or something of the like

welcome to the forum
It is a lost art. I can't find anyone willing to learn the trade.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
I did read that thread. You were talking two different issues. The transformer connection and the motors' internal connection.

Like was said in that thread, the motor doesn't care where the juice is coming from, as long as it's connected right in the J-box. Six lead wye/delta motors are for reduced voltage starting on wye, then full voltage running on delta. (reduced voltage being the voltage across the stator coils in the series connected motor.)

Thanks for your answer. That service call I referenced in the thread actually took place over 15 years ago and I was trying to make sense of it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It is a lost art. I can't find anyone willing to learn the trade.
Most people are scared of the "bible" that goes with that end of the trade. New it's over $ 200 off the shelf.Worth every penny, I have one that I picked up back in the 80's. Tried to get into a rewind shop after I got out of the Navy -couldn't get hired at either of the two shops in town, so gave up and went into commercial and industrial electrical work. Did I mention that they bill a lot higher than a regular electrical shop? Their shop is always warm too with those cookers going...

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Most people are scared of the "bible" that goes with that end of the trade. New it's over $ 200 off the shelf.Worth every penny, I have one that I picked up back in the 80's. Tried to get into a rewind shop after I got out of the Navy -couldn't get hired at either of the two shops in town, so gave up and went into commercial and industrial electrical work. Did I mention that they bill a lot higher than a regular electrical shop? Their shop is always warm too with those cookers going...

:jester: Just curious, why does that book open right to left?? :laughing:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome aboard. We have a couple grade-A electricians who used to work in motor shops; they know windings inside and out.

You do generators as well?

-John
Yes, I specialize in generators(AC) and DC motors. Wound my first P&H armature in 1975.

We have a 1500KW 4160V in the shop right now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have one autographed by Mr. Rosenberg.

I'd hire an ex-navy guy in a heartbeat. The last guy I trained, went back to Mexico and started his own motor shop.

·
Registered
572 Posts
We have a winding shop about 60 miles away in Quincy IL. The last time I was over there they hadn't wound anything in ages, everybody just buys new, till you get into the bigger stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome aboard. We have a couple grade-A electricians who used to work in motor shops; they know windings inside and out.

You do generators as well?

-John
I'm amazed at how most electricians don't know motors, or connections.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a winding shop about 60 miles away in Quincy IL. The last time I was over there they hadn't wound anything in ages, everybody just buys new, till you get into the bigger stuff.
With the economy the way it is, more people are repairing. We wind from 1/4 hp 1 phase up to 2 or 3 thousand horse, depending on the weight.

The industry is quite healthy. Of course, depending on you and your quality control.

·
Registered
572 Posts
One of the best electricians I ever met was absolutly frightened to open a motor. I guess he thought you'd let the genie out. Before I went to school and worked at the packing plant, motor bearings were always out, it was easier to just crack it open and replace them than wait for the electrician to put on a new one.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
Damn, well now I'm all gun-shy about asking the question I was gonna ask... :jester:

Seriously though: If a pole winding fails on a generator, I know there's a way to skip that pole in the series and still keep the generator operational, but I haven't had to do it (yet).

How is that done? I'm 98.6% sure it's more complicated than simply installing a jumper. Any thoughts?

(And in fairness, there's so much to "electrical work" that it's possible for a guy to know almost nothing about motors and still be a bang-up electrician. Just depends on the focus of their career.)

-John

1 - 20 of 46 Posts