Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else run into this problem? A customer asks for a receptacle and a tv bracket to be mounted on the wall. No problem on inside walls but: ok outside walls where the wall is block, furring strips and drywall you have a bit of a dillema. The lags that come with the mounting will split the furring strips and won't enter the block. Not to mention tap cons won't hold the weight of most of these TVs. So, suggestions? I've avoided placing the tv on these outside walls for the most part, but someday that won't work. It'll have to go where the customer needs it.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,439 Posts
You need to find the furring strip and drill thru the furring strip into the block. I would use some long tapcons.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Usually.......when I have to mount something heavy to a block wall, I use toggle bolts. When its an exterior wall.....I fill the hole with insulating foam after I get the stuff mounted and just before I tighten it up completely.
As for a receptacle and a CATV outlet.....you're gonna have to fish the block wall. Not always easy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Service Call said:
Or if there is no firing strip, put a 3/4" piece of emt or PVC and a fender washer thru the drywall and to the face of the block with a 2 1/4" tapcon Correction, 2 1/2" tapcon
Perfect idea
No sagging weight in the tap com that way. Nice and snug

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Tapcons suck. I can't get them to hold for **** in block.

The only thing I trust for block is 3/8 or 1/2" sleeve anchors. They are tricky to install on a furred out wall but it can be done. Thru the furring would be ideal. The proper length is crucial as you want it to grab the block.

1/4" toggle bolts?

I've used toggle bolts on steel studs/drywall. Flat mount, it's not going anywhere.

If it's an articulated mount, I'm always nervous.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Spax screws work terrific for this. They make lag screws that are made to go through wood and into block. All different lengths, weight ratings, ect. No need for the sheild like traditional lags. Home depot sells them around here. Worked well for us a few times.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Tapcons suck. I can't get them to hold for **** in block.

The only thing I trust for block is 3/8 or 1/2" sleeve anchors. They are tricky to install on a furred out wall but it can be done. Thru the furring would be ideal. The proper length is crucial as you want it to grab the block.

1/4" toggle bolts?

I've used toggle bolts on steel studs/drywall. Flat mount, it's not going anywhere.

If it's an articulated mount, I'm always nervous.
you have to buy a slightly smaller drill bit than the one normally required

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to mention tap cons won't hold the weight of most of these TVs. So, suggestions? I've avoided placing the tv on these outside walls for the most part, but someday that won't work. It'll have to go where the customer needs it.
One 1/4" Tapcon properly installed, embedded in 1" of block is rated for 500lbs of ultimate pull out and 1000lbs of ultimate shear. 25% of that gets you your safe working load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.