Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year apprentice currently working with a company that only does residential and commercial construction. However, I'm interested in eventually moving to industrial because it gives more access to PLCs, controls, etc. which I'm much more interested in (I'd like an instrumentation dual ticket someday).

Any advice about when/how I should go about making this move? (I live in Alberta, so lots of industrial opportunities)

·
Banned
202 Posts
Do it soon, it's a lot tougher when your a third or fourth year and have mostly pulled nmd90 in the eyes of an industrial company because your more expensive to train. Also if it's what you want to do then why wait at all if the chance comes up.

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
You might get stuck pulling cable and hanging tray but, hey, grunt work is part of the job. When you see an opening to something more technical, go for it. Batfink has good advice - you can start learning now. Looks good on a resume.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Or for small budget go for Logixpro simulator it's like 25 bucks and prety much like a clone of Rslogix 500 with lots of training to do. Once you good with that simulator the first time you will get on a real PLC with will already be very familliar. You can also get Zelio soft 2 for Free from Schneider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.