Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was just accepted in to my local electrical union and I do not want to live where I'm at now for the rest of my life. After I finish my 5 years, can I switch to another Local?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure numerous people have already answered this question in different threads but I am new to this website and have not found any sufficient answers to my question yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey,

I was just accepted in to my local electrical union and I do not want to live where I'm at now for the rest of my life. After I finish my 5 years, can I switch to another Local?

Thanks
I'm sure numerous people have already answered this question in different threads but I am new to this website and have not found any sufficient answers to my question yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
I believe you can do it but if you are going to move go where the money is and that is North Dakota right now...:thumbsup:

Welcome aboard......:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
You can do two things.

First, you can travel to other locals and work in those territories via book 2. Book 1 is the local members and Book 2 is our traveling brothers and sisters. Your benefits ( pension and health/welfare ) remain with your home local. This is what a lot of us do.

Second, you can attempt to transfer your book into another local. Many locals discourage this - especially the harder to get into northeast and california locals as they feel like it is a way of circumventing their vetting process.

Which ever course you choose, best of health, wealth and happiness and treat your brothers like you wish to be treated and you should do well.

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
You can do two things.

First, you can travel to other locals and work in those territories via book 2. Book 1 is the local members and Book 2 is our traveling brothers and sisters. Your benefits ( pension and health/welfare ) remain with your home local. This is what a lot of us do.

Second, you can attempt to transfer your book into another local. Many locals discourage this - especially the harder to get into northeast and california locals as they feel like it is a way of circumventing their vetting process.

Which ever course you choose, best of health, wealth and happiness and treat your brothers like you wish to be treated and you should do well.
Which ever course you choose, best of health, wealth and happiness and treat EVERYONE like you wish to be treated and you should do well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think its really only realistic when work is good. Right now you can't get the hours in other locals or they just won't take you because their books are too full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your help everyone. I passed my drug test and physical and I start tomorrow. Very excited!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts