Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm going to be moving to Calgary this summer and the plan is to attend SAIT this fall for Electrician Apprenticeship.

Of course before I register, I need to secure a sponsor and if I had my choice I'd start in residential. It's been suggested by a number of electricians to me already and it makes sense to me as well.

I've been applying online for the past month or so but with no results. My next step is to drive out to Calgary (next week) armed with hundreds of resumes/cover letters and apply in person to as many as possible. I'm living in Winnipeg right now. My hope is that by going there and being face-to-face that will improve my odds. I have literally hundreds of places I could go, but I was hoping people from there could point me in the right direction on which companies would be best to apply for, and also which ones to possible avoid.

I'm taking the construction safety course online right now FYI.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you taking pre-employment in the fall? or are you planning on going through AIT for your first year? because I don't think you can register for school with out a Blue book and you definitely won't get your book before May 12 (when registration for school opens up) and chances are slim that you'll be able to get a spot at SAIT by the time you get your blue book, so i'm not really understanding your logic here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've spoken with SAIT about my plans and all I was told is to secure employment before registering for the course. If not I could always take the pre-employment program, but I'm not really interested in that. From the reading I've done online, nobody has anything good to say about it.

Never heard of a blue book before your post. Since then I did more research about it and now I understand what you're saying. Disappointing that the people at SAIT didn't bother mentioning it, that would have been helpful.

There is another start date in Nov. and another next spring. If I can't make the Sept. start date so be it, I can always start a bit later. Right now I really just need to find an employer to hire me on. Aside from moving to Calgary, that's the most important thing I need to secure, and the sooner the better.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts