Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm currently a 2nd year apprentice in Arkansas and I'm looking to move to the Vancouver, Washington area sometime next year. My goal is to test for the 02 Residential Journeyman license and move shortly after I get it.

If I'm understanding it right, I need 4,000 on the job training hours and 24 hours of classroom time. I also know I need to send in a lot of paperwork and notarized documentation proving all of this.

In Arkansas, apprentices need 160 hours of school each year. I'm currently somewhere around 200 hours of classroom time so I believe I have that covered. I have around 3200-3300 hours of OJT and I believe I'll hit 4,000 in the first 2 months of 2020.

Does anyone know what I can expect through this process or anything I should be working on now? How picky is the Washington electrical board when reviewing these types of applications; are they extremely strict and go through them looking to deny over the smallest thing or are they more on the lenient side and may let a few minor issues pass?

What is the Washington 02 journeyman test like? In Arkansas my residential journeyman test would be over the 2017 NEC, 60 questions and 3 hours. How tough is the Washington specific test? Is there a book or somewhere online I can use to study for it?

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Pass the test. Then look at moving. You don't want to put yourself in a jam.

Reactions: telsa

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here in Washington if they will reciprocate with your card it’s pretty simple. You either will get a supervisory card till everything is in order and approved or they will just have you take the test here to prove your knowledge. But either way you will want to pass your test there first.

The Washington state journeyman exam here has an extremely high failure rate. Its about 60 questions with roughly 3 hours to complete. The majority is on the NEC and theory the second part is all RCW (Revised Code of Washington) and WAC (Washington Administration Code)

Testing is through PSI testing and once you are approved through Washington state Labor and Industries to take the exam you contact them to schedule your exam.

https://candidate.psiexams.com/cat...se_details.jsp?fromwhere=findtest&testid=4228

https://candidate.psiexams.com/bul...actionname=83&bulletinid=382&bulletinurl=.pdf

Here is the downloadable PDF’s of the Washington state electrical RCW and WAC

http://lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/LawRulePol/LawsRules/default.asp

The RCW is laws

The WAC explains what NEC code cycle the state has adopted and then has a section of changes for each code section. So let’s say the state doesn’t agree with a grounding code in the NEC there will be a new entrance in the WAC 296-46b-250.?? Or something like that don’t quote me but it’s close to that.

Here is a PDF on out of state testing for the exam.
http://lni.wa.gov/forms/pdf/F626-009-000.pdf

I hope this is all helpful. I understand how difficult the process is. If Oregon accepts your states hours I’d highly recommend getting your license there as well. Most shops you will work for in Vancouver will want dual licensed guys because a ton of the work is just across the I5 or the 205 Glen Jackson bridge to Portland Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I agree with the above poster, we're right on the border in Eastern Oregon and everyone in our shop is dual licensed. Moving to Vancouver, I'd say it's definitely essential.

The NEC part of the test is just like any other. I think just about every one of us failed the WAC(washington administrative code) portion though. Everybody got it the second time around.

If you don't know about the WAC spend some time studying up on it, it's like reading lawyer speak to me and hard to retain. The main thing to remember is where certain subjects are located in the WAC so you can find the specific answers on the test in a reasonable amount of time. It's not necessarily hard, just time consuming, I simply ran out of time looking for the answers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pass the test. Then look at moving. You don't want to put yourself in a jam.
Yeah, thats my current plan. I want to get my 02 license before I move because I know having the license in hand will help me get a job a lot easier than "I'll have my license soon!".

Here in Washington if they will reciprocate with your card it’s pretty simple. You either will get a supervisory card till everything is in order and approved or they will just have you take the test here to prove your knowledge. But either way you will want to pass your test there first.

I don't have my license in Arkansas yet. Oddly enough actually, I'll be eligible to take the Washington test before I can take the Arkansas or Oregon test (for residential journeyman). Are you suggesting it would be better to take my Arkansas test and get my residential journeyman license here THEN test for Washington? That would put a damper on my plan to not have to work in Arkansas during the next hot summer. As far as I can tell, having a license wouldn't matter much, all Washington wants to see is that I have at least 4,000 OJT hours and at least 24 classroom hours.

The Washington state journeyman exam here has an extremely high failure rate. Its about 60 questions with roughly 3 hours to complete. The majority is on the NEC and theory the second part is all RCW (Revised Code of Washington) and WAC (Washington Administration Code)

Testing is through PSI testing and once you are approved through Washington state Labor and Industries to take the exam you contact them to schedule your exam.
That sounds similar to the test Arkansas uses. If I'm understanding the 2nd link correctly, on page 9, the tests I would be taking are NEC & Theory, 40 questions and 2 hours, then a WAC test thats 17 questions and 1 hour.

The separation of the RCW and WAC is throwing me off a bit. Is the WAC specific test ONLY for rules/laws found in the WAC or is it a combination of things from RCW and WAC? If I print off the PDF of the WAC am I able to take that into the test with me or does it need to be an official copy?

I hope this is all helpful. I understand how difficult the process is. If Oregon accepts your states hours I’d highly recommend getting your license there as well. Most shops you will work for in Vancouver will want dual licensed guys because a ton of the work is just across the I5 or the 205 Glen Jackson bridge to Portland Oregon.
Yes, it is very helpful. You provided me with some info I hadn't been able to find after months of research. My current priority is getting my Washington license. I have some family that moved out there a few years ago thats one reason I've picked this area. Do you know if I got my Washington license if Oregon would accept that as their requirements and let me test for their license? I know its common to have dual licenses but I know people can't be going through 4 years of being an apprentice twice for each state. Oregon won't reciprocate an Arkansas license unless I've held it for 6 months, which would put me at next November at the soonest I could reciprocate from here.

Have you gone through this process yourself or did you get your license from working in Washington?

The NEC part of the test is just like any other. I think just about every one of us failed the WAC(washington administrative code) portion though. Everybody got it the second time around.
Thats good to hear, we just got our codebooks and started going over them in my school so its good to know I'm not wasting my time. Do you know if theres any practice tests I can use to help prepare for the WAC portion? Or even the NEC part?

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
433 Posts
RCW and wac are separate.

Oregon will not take Washington electrical cards and allow testing as their requirements are harder than Washington’s. If you get your Arkansas card and then immediately move down here you could test for Washington and 6 months later get your Oregon card. Trust me if they will reciprocate with Arkansas it’s good to finish and take your test there.

Yes you have the idea correct for the test.

Yes you can bring in a printed copy of the WAC and of the RCW. You can also bring in any copywrited books / materials as long as there aren’t any notes written in them.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Talk about needing to take the test more than once. Has anyone here is Washington ever taken the master electrician exam? Those load calculations are a nightmare lol. They try and trick you too. They list out all the things that are there and how many Va they are but you have to remember that there are minimum requirements you have to calculate for even if they don’t mention them. And one of the multiple choice answers they put up there is the answer you would come up with if you forgot to include them. It’s frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RCW and wac are separate.

Yes you can bring in a printed copy of the WAC and of the RCW. You can also bring in any copywrited books / materials as long as there aren’t any notes written in them.
I'm confused now, is the 'WAC Codes' part of the test only over the WAC or does it have questions from the WAC and RCW?

Damn, I'm wanting to get my Residential Masters too and I got worried when I saw the 10 load calculating questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts