Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics to pick at. I drill tight between points, leave loops at boxes that might need to move or turn into quads, yada, yada, yada.

Attachments

Reactions: Island Electric

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1/2 switched receptacles made fast......

Attachments

Reactions: Island Electric

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is with that weird looped conductors? What a waste of time. :no:
That is faster than cutting , crimping and pigtailing. Your thinking is that of in a box. Devicing goes even faster on the final. I roughed this whole 3 bdrm house, 36 hi hats, 2 exhaust fans, 2 ceiling fans, custom kitchen, outlets, switches in 2.5 days by myself.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that were the case, then your method would be widespread. But it's not because it's ridiculous and a waste of time.
Such a waste of time it took me 2 1/2 days by myself to wire the whole place.

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
Such a waste of time it took me 2 1/2 days by myself to wire the whole place.
It looks like a small house. How many square feet?

It would be much faster to use Wagos then looping wire in and out of a box and having to strip everything in the middle of a conductor.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did this whole place with 1000' 14/2, 150' 14/3 , about 400' 12/2. Drilled a few angles in places

Attachments

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Looks good. I like extra cable.

But.....did you do all the in/out receps like the pictured 1/2 switched one?

I'm not seeing any time saved but, I've never tried it.

Strip off the sheath, strip the insulation, fold it over and put it in the box? Hmmm. I suppose once you get the hang of how much and where to strip, it could be a good idea.

The work above is messy
Construction is a messy business. It all ends up behind the drywall.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good. I like extra cable.

But.....did you do all the in/out receps like the pictured 1/2 switched one?

I'm not seeing any time saved but, I've never tried it.

Strip off the sheath, strip the insulation, fold it over and put it in the box? Hmmm. I suppose once you get the hang of how much and where to strip, it could be a good idea.

Construction is a messy business. It all ends up behind the drywall.
Almost every outlet. I fold over , strip jacket and conductors and push into box, goes very fast for me and saves a lot of time during devicing.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like a small house. How many square feet?

It would be much faster to use Wagos then looping wire in and out of a box and having to strip everything in the middle of a conductor.
But that would mean more material which is less money for me.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then that's a tiny house. I hardly think 2.5 days to rough that in is impressive.
It's a small house roughly 2500 sq ft. I wired it efficiently without any waste, I avoid going up and over with general wiring, too much waste.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
but then you are passing power threw the outlet and if it ever fails you loose power down the line?

Wait, what?

He is actually avoiding using the recep as part of the circuit (which is the normal method).

At what point do you strip the insulation from the wire and what method/tools do you employ? Seems like you would have to fight it if the wires were already bent in the box.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
This is one time I will jump in and agree with the Doc's methods here..just because it is different doesn't make it wrong or hack. He has done this a lot and it works as fast for him as the cut and tail method would work for the rest of us.

It does have the one big benefit of keeping the conductors continuity even if the device is removed.

So criticizing him is unwarranted in this case IMHO.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts