Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's some pics to pick at. I drill tight between points, leave loops at boxes that might need to move or turn into quads, yada, yada, yada.
...I like looped BX (Romex makes me nervous as it is not used in most Chicago area installations: rats and squirrels eat them and turn them into incendiary devices!).

I have seen one hundred year old installations where the "in box" cloth and rubber conductors are completely frayed, but the electrician left a loop that when peeled away is virtually brand new and easily rewired to code and a safe installation.

My customers are happy to know that it is a reasonable repair instead of the dreaded "all must be replaced because it is 100 years old system".

City inspectors pass these jobs with no problem.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
:whistling2: Nice Slater and Arlington products, none of that Carlon Blue garbage.
Not that I have not used Carlon boxes on occasion, I try to run my purchasing so I can leave those blue boxes for Home Improvements contractors and fly by nights to buy at HD.:)

Reactions: B4T

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
kitchen circuits

running two dining area outlets, the fridge and range ignition on a 20 a ckt

running the DW and wine cooler on another 20 a ckt

two counter ckts, 1 15 amp micro line.

How many circuits would some of you guys run for this?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Doc I use the same loop method alot. First saw a 3gang swicth done like that yrs ago saves time once you get hang of it. Use utility knife for mid line bxs and pull and strip at end for gangs, zoom bang pow done!! You guys that have not done it try it..sweet trick. Looks great, nice neat job..some sort of Island going in there too?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Doc I use the same loop method alot. First saw a 3gang swicth done like that yrs ago saves time once you get hang of it. Use utility knife for mid line bxs and pull and strip at end for gangs, zoom bang pow done!! You guys that have not done it try it..sweet trick. Looks great, nice neat job..some sort of Island going in there too?
I've been doing it that way for over 10 years now, I pull the cable full lengths, fold and push up to location , staple, move to next, repeat and so on. Fastest way I have ever wired romex for outlets and lighting( they get cut) instaed of going one box at a time. Yes, that's my L peninsula with appliance and counter receptacle feeds. If you don't protect them with carflex or ENT the other tradesand kitchen installers will destroy your cable.

Reactions: donaldelectrician

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
I'm curious what McClary will have to say about this. He's a romex racer and I guarantee he'll say it's a waste of time, but I could be wrong.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Those Airtight IC hihats were made for 8" joist, I got them to fit into 6" framing by slicing 2" off the top of the box. The UL police are going to kick my door in.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
...I like looped BX (Romex makes me nervous as it is not used in most Chicago area installations: rats and squirrels eat them and turn them into incendiary devices!).

I have seen one hundred year old installations where the "in box" cloth and rubber conductors are completely frayed, but the electrician left a loop that when peeled away is virtually brand new and easily rewired to code and a safe installation.

My customers are happy to know that it is a reasonable repair instead of the dreaded "all must be replaced because it is 100 years old system".

City inspectors pass these jobs with no problem.
I find with kitchens , baths and entertainment areas outlets will either be moved , adjusted or turned into quads. Looping makes it easier to work with once the staple is pried out.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No troll boy.. just a time tested theory some of us have seen many times before..
I recently visited a flip home a home improvement contractor did himself, the kitchen had those blue boxes, not the crank out ones I use on hi end jobs but the 18 cu nail ons. They had #14 wire in them for the counter outlets.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Peter D said:
I'm curious what McClary will have to say about this. He's a romex racer and I guarantee he'll say it's a waste of time, but I could be wrong.
You are reading my mind. I was only staying out of this because I like shockdoc, but that method is quacky, and surely a waste of time. During a romex rough in, there are two stages, roughing in, and cutting in. The only other person I know crazy enough to do that was doubleoh7

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Inspectors around here make you leave a loop outside the box always during rough-ins. Even if they didn't I would do it anyways cause I can't tell you how many times I have done a rough in just to come back for finishing and find that the drywallers rotozip cut all my wires because he doesn't understand the depth importance of the blade. All you have to do is undo the clamp and pull the extra wire in. Saves a lot of time and headache.

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
You are reading my mind. I was only staying out of this because I like shockdoc, but that method is quacky, and surely a waste of time. During a romex rough in, there are two stages, roughing in, and cutting in. The only other person I know crazy enough to do that was doubleoh7
Your name came to mind because I have no doubt you're an authority on this, and there is no way that method saves time. Not a slight chance.

21 - 40 of 134 Posts