Electrician Talk banner

61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Senile Member
30,712 Posts
I'd like to find out if that method helps reduce the nuisance ark fault circuit breaker trips. If so, I'm all for it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
I gotta ask: How long does it actually take to do this?

Plus, that looks like UF. Why?

Plus, you use sealtight indoors?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
running two dining area outlets, the fridge and range ignition on a 20 a ckt

running the DW and wine cooler on another 20 a ckt

two counter ckts, 1 15 amp micro line.

How many circuits would some of you guys run for this?
In that situation I probably would have run 14/3 to the fridge then from there 14/2 over to the microwave. Another 14/3 to a box under the sink or behind the dishwasher location to give both the DW and wine cooler their own circuits. Code here says dining area receptacles must have a dedicated circuit which can be used to power ignition/controls for a gas stove so there would be a 14/2 for that. Then two 12/2s for countertops.

So overall, five 15A and two 20A. Is that wasteful?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I consider myself a residential expert and can wire a house blindfolded but I just can't see how this method saves any time. I am confident I can work just as fast using Wagos on the make up, than stripping wires mid section. But to each their own.
wagos are no better than back stabbing hack just hack

·
Senile Member
30,712 Posts
wagos are no better than back stabbing hack just hack
I hardly ever used one, but I sure would love to see what real data you have to support that.

Or is it just your wise old opinion, with nothing to back it up at all other than you weren't the one who invented the method.

·
Expatriate in Training
1,265 Posts
I could see that working once you got the hang of how to guesstimate how much to pull out for the loops but I don't see how it's any faster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is faster than cutting , crimping and pigtailing. Your thinking is that of in a box. Devicing goes even faster on the final. I roughed this whole 3 bdrm house, 36 hi hats, 2 exhaust fans, 2 ceiling fans, custom kitchen, outlets, switches in 2.5 days by myself.
i would like to know how you do strip the wire to make this faster i would like to think that just snipping stripping and shover them PROPERLY into wagos is fast
too many people dont use them right

·
Coaster Sparky
1,952 Posts
Weird method of tying in boxes. Kinda' cool, kinda' stupid.
I agree. I'd try it out for one of my jobs on the side, if I did that for my employer, it wouldn't be a positive visit to the office afterwards. But when you make the rules, you can do as you choose.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
For my first 12 yrs in the trade I worked for a Military/defense contractor. You wanna talk about extreme wiring methods OMG Try wiring to salt water resistance codes!! Navy stuff will make ya nuts. Try the loop method, 1 or 2 box's per house. Speed comes with repetition you guys know that. I have used it for 20 yrs do it in a blink. When you do a 3 gang switch you don't cut and stab do ya? Or do ya snip and slide? same thing brother. All you guys have a great Thanksgiving!!!!:thumbup:

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
Inspectors around here make you leave a loop outside the box always during rough-ins. Even if they didn't I would do it anyways cause I can't tell you how many times I have done a rough in just to come back for finishing and find that the drywallers rotozip cut all my wires because he doesn't understand the depth importance of the blade. All you have to do is undo the clamp and pull the extra wire in. Saves a lot of time and headache.
Are boxes approved for putting 2 wires in 1 knock-out?The inspectors in this neck of the woods would'nt allow that.
Do Canadian inspectors have a code they go by or do they make it up as they go?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I gotta ask: How long does it actually take to do this?

Plus, that looks like UF. Why?

Plus, you use sealtight indoors?
I use carflex to protect the wires going to the kitchen island , otherwise , the cables will get trampled under foot by all the workers and cemented around by the tile guy. UF?:blink: UF is grey, why would I spend more and work with a PITA.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Do Canadian inspectors have a code they go by or do they make it up as they go?
I'd guess they are about the same as US inspectors...some follow the code, some malign it, some make it up as they go. I'd guess too that the Canadian inspectors are probably a little more polite...;):thumbup:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Regarding the method: it works for the OP, it passes inspection, and it looks exactly the same once the paint and trim are up.

61 - 80 of 134 Posts