Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial Foreman - San Diego
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.

I've recently arrived on an ongoing site that has many problems. Apparently those in charge weren't able to read Floorplans and wall-type prints because there are about 50-60 1-1/4" single gang mud rings sticking out past finish drywall and finish tile by anywhere from 1" to 1/4"

Awesome. I've been asked to handle the problem.

My knee-jerk smartass remark to cut them all out and replace them with the correct mudrings was giving a short, not-amused bark of laughter followed by an adamant, figure something else out, remark.

Outside of grinding off the sides and bending the top and bottom over to re-tap I can't come up with any other good solutions. I'm prepared to go this route. However, I figured I'd ask the internet hive-mind if anyone has come across any good tips, tricks or neat gizmos or gadgets that are designed to solve this problem.

Let the good times roll.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,191 Posts
If you can't remove the mud ring, think the opposite. Build it out vice moving it inward. Something similar to the surface rings on siding or think like a raised fixture medallion on a ceiling. I have seen similar ideas used in custom home where there was a bead board finish and all the devices were built out slightly on a raised decorative (probably a 1/4 round type material). I have never done it, but I would guess somebody makes something for that situation. Probably called a "raised trim ring" or something like that.

Quite frankly, cutting the rings out and doing a small mud patch would be easier, then all of that. Any kind of modification to the existing mud ring I am sure will just make a mess.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Sometimes there aren't easy solutions to big problems, no matter how bad someone wants it to be that way. I find it interesting they are making it your problem though?

Replace the mudrings and be prepared to be hit with a backcharge by the GC.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,498 Posts
A two gang cover will cover it up if you replace the mud ring. If you only have one device put a filler in the other hole.

99 say that man scared of patch and paint can’t complain when job looks stupid

·
Hackenschmidt
10,670 Posts
You could put a wiremold box over it.

Throw away the backs and I guess you'd need a plastic extension ring to make up the space between the mud ring and the wiremold box. I guess it would be a gray area, you're not using it according to it's listing, but does a filler have to be listed, consider it part of the wall.

But realistically, the longer you wait, the worse it gets, cut, fix, patch, pay, move on with your life.

·
Super Moderator
EC
22,149 Posts
I would cut out some sheetrock replace with a 2 gang mudring and install double duplex receptacles. If these are switches then I would have a dummy insert for on switch.

We have done this without needing to have sheet rockers or painters come back in.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,564 Posts
I don't think it would be code compliant but you could put a wiremold box over it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61O6hunIMzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Throw away the backs and I guess you'd need a plastic extension ring to make up the space between the mud ring and the wiremold box. I guess it would be a gray area, you're not using it according to it's listing, but does a filler have to be listed, consider it part of the wall.

But realistically, the longer you wait, the worse it gets, cut, fix, patch, pay, move on with your life.

I did that once. I like to think of it as an inverted box extender. Device was grounded, yolk screws went into steel, no gaps left behind. As far as grey areas, I consider that light grey.....:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quite frankly, cutting the rings out and doing a small mud patch would be easier, then all of that. Any kind of modification to the existing mud ring I am sure will just make a mess.

Cheers
John
I absolutely agree in the drywall areas, the problem is that about half of these are in month old tile. Building out isn't going to look great, and cutting out the rings and replacing with the correct size is apparently more of a back-charge than my superintendent is willing to consider.

I would cut out some sheetrock replace with a 2 gang mudring and install double duplex receptacles. If these are switches then I would have a dummy insert for on switch.

We have done this without needing to have sheet rockers or painters come back in.
This is an option to consider for all of our switch locations, and potentially anything in drywall. I'll bounce it off the architects and GC. Great idea, hadn't considered this approach.

Sometimes there aren't easy solutions to big problems, no matter how bad someone wants it to be that way. I find it interesting they are making it your problem though?

Replace the mudrings and be prepared to be hit with a backcharge by the GC.

They dismissed the offending FM who was responsible for this mess and I'm the lucky man who is drifting around waiting for my job to finalize. So I was free to come over and sticky my fingers into this rats nest. This is only one problem of many I've already come across in less than a week. I've got 2 first years, 2 new JW's and a pissed off Lead-man who's been there since day 1 and been recently dressed down over the entire fiasco and tasked with redemption as a supporting cast.

Cut them all out and replace them with the correct mud rings.

Seriously.

If not I'd quit. F that nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was quite depressed after I walked and inspected the job that first couple of days, the idea definitely drifted through my mind.

Thanks for all the input, guys. In general I'm pretty sure that most type of build-up solutions will be rejected by the GC and the architects.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I wouldn't use any fillers. The GC will ask "what's that for"? Then possibly make you do it over.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Edit. Forget everything I wrote below. My first real question is, what is the wall finish and is it completed. If it's already tiled, LOTS of people are incompetent.

My first question is, did this go all the way through the paint stage? If so, who the hell let that happen?
Second question, didn't any of the "electricians" question the use of deep rings?
Thidr question. Is it a tile finish? If so, why aren't they already changed out. Wham bam.

The drywallers didn't notice something was a little odd? The tapers didn't notice? The GC rep? The painters?

It's not the end of the world. Drywall is simple to cut and patch Building them out with anything is stupid.
A good drywall repair guy could do this easily and quickly by using the right tools and techniques. They are all switch height so it couldn't be any easier for the. Then again, if there was a good drywall guy on site, it wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,098 Posts
Could you cut off the part that’s sticking out and put a flat old work low voltage ring I’ve the hole. Maybe secure it with a zippy screw (SMS8)? Maybe just fold it over if it’s just a switch. Be sure to ground the switch.

Or maybe cut the mud ring flush and drill and tap the back of the box. Use 3” 6-32 screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You gotta wonder why nobody mentioned something wasn't right before tile went on.........

That was my very first question. Mysteriously, nobody seems to have an answer for that.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,498 Posts
This sounds like one of those jobs where you spend hours in discussion and site visits and then the bastids hire some clown with a Husky bag full of Commercial Electric tools.

It’s funny how a GC who hires and fires a clown will hire another clown to fix up the mess. Money can be in short supply at the end of a job so make sure your ass is covered before you agree to anything.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts