Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use 14-2-2 and 12-2-2 NM now that AFCI and GFCI protection is needed on nearly all circuits? It costs more than double the 2 runs of the regular stuff so what am I missing something? :blink:

·
Registered
712 Posts
oh the way of capitalism.. new and shiny wins the day.. eh, the dollar. never heard of it til now. and wont use it til prices are closer matched. good idea tho. guess you need to weigh price v. labor.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Anyone use 14-2-2 and 12-2-2 NM now that AFCI and GFCI protection is needed on nearly all circuits? It costs more than double the 2 runs of the regular stuff so what am I missing something? :blink:
Since you live in CT :whistling2::laughing: you can buy it at the HD's there now.

I've never used it but I can imagine that it comes in handy for new construction.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh the way of capitalism.. new and shiny wins the day.. eh, the dollar. never heard of it til now. and wont use it til prices are closer matched. good idea tho. guess you need to weigh price v. labor.

The price is a rip off. For a cable missing 1000 feet of a whole copper conductor it shouldn't cost more than the stuff the is actually more material and labor to produce:no:

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The price is a rip off. For a cable missing 1000 feet of a whole copper conductor it shouldn't cost more than the stuff the is actually more material and labor to produce:no:
I just bought some for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought the same thing. Worked great though. I'd probably still buy it just because it saves on labor.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
I just bought some for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought the same thing. Worked great though. I'd probably still buy it just because it saves on labor.
Is one of the neutrals marked, as to what hot, it is to be paired to, for use with a AFCI breaker?
Having never seen the cable, is the reason for the inquiry.
It's a strong possibility, that the MWBC is on the way out, for residential installations. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Is one of the neutrals marked, as to what hot, it is to be paired to, for use with a AFCI breaker?
It's a strong possibility, that the MWBC is on the way out, for residential installations. :rolleyes:
Yes, one white has a red stripe.

Dennis, I could see box fill being a issue if you weren't careful. I've only used it once so far, I used it for the wiring between the units for a future mini split.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,505 Posts
There is a pair that is black and white as you normally see and then a white with a red stripe along with a red wire. Never seen it either but I think that is it. Maybe the first pair is white with a black stripe- not sure

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Second circuit is red and white with a red stripe:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Last time I priced 12/3 it was just under double what 12/2 costs. For only one more conductor.

Reactions: BababooeyHTJ

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Doesn't pay, cost less to pull two runs of 2 wire at the same time.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.