Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some answer reguarding multi family dwelling units. I recently received some prints to bid on for multi family dwelling units. It has 3 units in the building. I know each individual unit needs it’s smoke/carbon detectors. I’m looking on some advice for the fire alarm system for the 3 story building? What’s the best option to go with? And what would i need to install to bring it up to code.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,418 Posts
Fire alarm systems are part of the building code, so although we all get to wire them, it's not our responsibility, it is the GC's. Around my neck of the woods it is required when there is 8 or more family units in one building, so all it would need is bedroom and hallway wired, connected smokes and also one for each floor hooked in the system also. Each unit control from each unit's sub panel, not a global system building wide.

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
That do fall into GC ( General Contractor ) to spec it out and it will be covered by both IBC and state codes plus any local code requirement.

That you have to run by the building or fire inspector to get the latest info.

there is no universal answer on this part.

The smoke alarm will be wired in two ways ., Typically indivual interconnected smoke detectors for each unit but for common area like hallway or basement then it have to be interconnected unless noted otherwise per state/local codes.

The fire alarm that is up to the state codes depending on how many units per building and type of construction it is.

·
Administrator
EC
22,585 Posts
In NC you need a license, that is separate from the electrical license, to wire fire alarms. Also are you sure they are required in a 3 unit building

1 - 6 of 6 Posts