Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a job now where I am updating a third floor apartment with all new wiring.
The service consists of a 200 AMP SEU Drop into a 4ft trough with 4 separate electric meters mounted under it. The panels inside are a house panel protected by a 50amp breaker, a first floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, a second floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, and the third floor unit protected by a 60 amp breaker. Making my total breaker load at 210 amps.

New third floor electric layout

1 - 50 AMP Electric Range
4 - 15 AMP Arc Fault Breakers (General Outlet and Lighting)
3 - 20 AMP Breaker (2 Kitchen GFI's and 1 Bathroom GFI)

My question is to see if it is best and most cost effective to install a 100 AMP SEU run into the trough and run it parallel with the 200 AMP SEU then Split Bolt it to the tri-plex. Using that 100 AMP to feed my third floor meter.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
My question is to see if it is best and most cost effective to install a 100 AMP SEU run into the trough and run it parallel with the 200 AMP SEU then Split Bolt it to the tri-plex. Using that 100 AMP to feed my third floor meter.
I'm not sure what you mean here.....can you 'splain?

~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
On a job now where I am updating a third floor apartment with all new wiring.
The service consists of a 200 AMP SEU Drop into a 4ft trough with 4 separate electric meters mounted under it. The panels inside are a house panel protected by a 50amp breaker, a first floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, a second floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, and the third floor unit protected by a 60 amp breaker. Making my total breaker load at 210 amps.

New third floor electric layout

1 - 50 AMP Electric Range
4 - 15 AMP Arc Fault Breakers (General Outlet and Lighting)
3 - 20 AMP Breaker (2 Kitchen GFI's and 1 Bathroom GFI)

You do not add the breakers together to get your load. You must calculate the load of each apt and then add them together to get the load on the building

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
CWC87 said:
On a job now where I am updating a third floor apartment with all new wiring. The service consists of a 200 AMP SEU Drop into a 4ft trough with 4 separate electric meters mounted under it. The panels inside are a house panel protected by a 50amp breaker, a first floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, a second floor panel protected by a 50 amp breaker, and the third floor unit protected by a 60 amp breaker. Making my total breaker load at 210 amps. New third floor electric layout 1 - 50 AMP Electric Range 4 - 15 AMP Arc Fault Breakers (General Outlet and Lighting) 3 - 20 AMP Breaker (2 Kitchen GFI's and 1 Bathroom GFI) My question is to see if it is best and most cost effective to install a 100 AMP SEU run into the trough and run it parallel with the 200 AMP SEU then Split Bolt it to the tri-plex. Using that 100 AMP to feed my third floor meter.
Articles 210 and 220 will answer all your questions. Well, maybe 310 too, with some 338 just for fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts