Electrician Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Who arced it out on the side of the panel? I have seen some work in north Wisconsin where ex poco guy has done side work. 12-2 with ground becomes two 20 amp circuits with bare neutral. I was able to re fish it right, but didn't figure this out till I shut down the ladies home office computer wrecking four hours of her days work. She should have backed it up.😊

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Every one of those panels is an opportunity, no afcis that fit. I would have installed a new 2 pole 30 and not lost any sleep though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 45 amp two pole is a Square D. The home owner said her handyman said he couldn't get a Stablock for it and it would be OK to use temporary till he found one. She said after he said that she witnessed a explosion and sparks go literally from where he was standing to the other side of the room and she said sparks bounced around on the hard wood floor like they were dancing. She said she almost had a heart attack it was so loud. That's when they called me to come over. But the weird thing is they were cooking fish sticks in the oven when I arrived and asked me to wait a few minutes so they could finish cooking them before I disconnected it. So she ended up using it. I didn't see a handy man. She said he had left. I assume it has been like that for a while and they had been using it. I believe only half of what customers say unfortunately in my experience dealing with all sorts of crazy situations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I disconnected it and sold them on a panel replacement with Arc Faults for all the proper locations. Also on running a new oven circuit because the handy man used 10/3 on a 45 amp breaker. And also advised them on installing Ground Faults in all the proper locations to bring everything up to current code and of coarse to make there home safer.
She agreed to go without her oven for a day till I did the replacement.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I disconnected it and sold them on a panel replacement with Arc Faults for all the proper locations. Also on running a new oven circuit because the handy man used 10/3 on a 45 amp breaker. And also advised them on installing Ground Faults in all the proper locations to bring everything up to current code and of coarse to make there home safer.
Sounds good except for the AFCI's.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts

:eek: What did these people ever do to you? That's just cruel.

Sounds good except for the AFCI's.
x2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just simply following code no matter how I may feel about the Arc Faults and the reasons they truly may or may not hhave been introduced into code and by whom. I inform the customers on the code, the pro's and con's, and the different option's available so they can make a informed decision to do what best suits them and their home. I even suggest they get another estimate and opinion when it comes to doing any kind of panel or any possible service upgrade involving load calculations.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Just simply following code no matter how I may feel about the Arc Faults and the reasons they truly may or may not hhave been introduced into code and by whom. I inform the customers on the code, the pro's and con's, and the different option's available so they can make a informed decision to do what best suits them and their home. I even suggest they get another estimate and opinion when it comes to doing any kind of panel or any possible service upgrade involving load calculations.
Speak you mind, you will feel better :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts