Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should start out by saying Hello to the forum and all it's members. I hope to learn, teach, BS and laugh with everyone here on the forum. Allow me to introduce myself here, I am 39 years old from Indiana. I have worked for a Local Steel Mill for the past 12 years as an Industrial Electrician. I have no "FORMAL" class training other than what our Electrical engineer has offered me over the years, and what I have read from my MANY books. I love to learn all I can about electricity and electrical codes. I now work for a local fabrication shop ( a catapiller extension ) and have taken on the task of being the only house electrician. I am following a gentalman that I can only describe as a HACK. Hence the reason I have replaced him.

I got a kick out of some of the pics on the code violation discussion and wish I had a camera to post some I have around my plant. Anway I got off topic here.

I have an interest in lifter technology and hope to soon start building my own to study at home. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to learn, debate, vent and all around hang with a group of WELL educated people. MDSHUNK and 480sparky has impressed me so far.

Here's to some happy times! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Hey, if I've impressed you, just keep reading. We have some spectacular regular contributors here!

Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome. I am a newbie here also, and learn something new everyday.

Good luck following up after a 'hack'.

BTW, what is 'lifter technology'?

Best Wishes

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
I also learned from doing and reading, with very little apprenticeship classes I did two years and then took a long road trip, the apprenticeship guys frowned on that.

I find if I have an unknown, or problem I would research it and read all I could locate on the subject. In the "OLD" days this was difficult with limited access to information, one thing that helped me was I live in Washington DC with access to the Library of Congress, they have almost every book ever printed. Anyway with the Internet it has become somewhat easier if you can discern the BS from the real thing.

Almost gorgot WELCOME to the forum

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome, surprised that screen name was not taken already, used to call gung-ho apprentices that in the past.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A lifter is a lite weight balsawood & foil construction, using high voltage to cause it to lift into the air. You can read alot about them on the internet, just google 'lifters' and check it out.

Suprised me too that this username was available! I call most newbies around me 'buttercup or scooter' when they ask repeat questions. I'm all for NO question is a stupied question in this field, but 3 times you get a nick name of that sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts