Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

My name is Josh. I have been working, mostly residential and some commercial, for almost 10 years, 1 year as a helper and almost 9 now as a primary electrician for my boss here in NC. I have been preparing for my boards the last few months. My boss had a brain aneurism and died suddenly 6 months ago. Since then Ive been doing small jobs by myself. I got my application in the mail so I can do everything like Im supposed to do. There is a section thats requires my boss's signature and the hours I worked. Obviously that is impossible. When I saw it I vomitted. What do I do. I am not going to be able to keep working alone without a license and I KNOW I can pass the test. What do I do????

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

My name is Josh. I have been working, mostly residential and some commercial, for almost 10 years, 1 year as a helper and almost 9 now as a primary electrician for my boss here in NC. I have been preparing for my boards the last few months. My boss had a brain aneurism and died suddenly 6 months ago. Since then Ive been doing small jobs by myself. I got my application in the mail so I can do everything like Im supposed to do. There is a section thats requires my boss's signature and the hours I worked. Obviously that is impossible. When I saw it I vomitted. What do I do. I am not going to be able to keep working alone without a license and I KNOW I can pass the test. What do I do????
Pay stubs and have a next of kin sign on his behalf.

Reactions: joshpatt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I feel like my only option left is an unethical one. Ask someone to vouch for me who doesnt even know me. Ive met other licensed guys but will they remember me? Idk. The awkwardness... geez.

I dont really want to call the board. If I have to I will but my God... I mean I just dont know...

Im so close to saying bumo it and going to work at mcdonalds.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I always tell apprentices to keep every pay stub they get just in case a boss screws you around or the unfortunate happens like in your situation. Nowadays I don't always remember to stash them away like I used to but it is a good idea to let the future electricians know this so they don't get stuck in a bad place.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,641 Posts
Yeah,

Im still freaking out. I dont have but 2 w2's and like 5 paystubs. I didnt forsee this at all obviously. So scared
I don't know how you guys do your income tax in the States, but doesn't your employer have to submit a record of wages paid? Your own income tax should show something. A bit of math and the number of hours should be easily calculated.
Your situation is unique, but I would think the testing authority has a certain amount of leeway in looking at records.
good luck

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Now I feel like my only option left is an unethical one. Ask someone to vouch for me who doesnt even know me. Ive met other licensed guys but will they remember me? Idk. The awkwardness... geez.

I dont really want to call the board. If I have to I will but my God... I mean I just dont know...

I doesn't hurt to ask Josh

10 yrs is not an investment they, nor you, should take lightly

~CS~

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to your local social security administration office. They can print off all the places you have ever worked and for how long. I had to do this as well because one of my employers refused to fill out the experience form for my license. There is a fee and I cant remember how much as it was a long time ago but it was worth it. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts

I don't know that that is unethical, though probably illegal. If you did preform the work that you are attesting to then I do not think it's unethical at all.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Idk how a w-2 would give hours worked. No hourly wage associated with earnings.
That's my understanding, unfortunately there's nothing obligating a licensing board to accept that as documentation of hours: Working for an electrical contractor is not the same as working as an electrical apprentice. A shop secretary could present the same W2s that the OP can.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.