Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this place I do a lot of work at tried to go cheep and get another contractor to do some lighting retrofits and remove some fixtures not needed. Of course this other contractor is a lot less in price then we are and now I see why. So the one area they did I went in there to pull a mc in the ceiling and found this. I went and got the guy who hired them and said I think the forgot part of there job. Well when they called the contractor they said they left it like that in case if they ever wanted to put the lights back in. Laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
If this job needed to be done on the cheap, why even take the plate off the fixture? Why not just shove the light above the ceiling, tighten the tie wire a little, and pop a few new ceiling tiles in....:jester:

On a serious note, I run into that stuff all the time. It'll be fine like that for years and years.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Your customer learned a lesson and now understands why he needs you, not the other guy, in the future.
Maybe. Ive got a Motel 6 I've been doing work at off and on for close to six years now, and they are always bringing in some scheister or down-on-his-luck drunk to do the electrical. Always the same story, they come in a some cheap price, do a few jobs, and then disappear into the night when something screws up. Then she calls me in and complains about how much I charge her for a few months, and then the cycle starts all over again.

Patels, BTW. Imagine that.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
So this place I do a lot of work at tried to go cheep and get another contractor to do some lighting retrofits and remove some fixtures not needed. Of course this other contractor is a lot less in price then we are and now I see why. So the one area they did I went in there to pull a mc in the ceiling and found this. I went and got the guy who hired them and said I think the forgot part of there job. Well when they called the contractor they said they left it like that in case if they ever wanted to put the lights back in. Laughing:
Got to love it..:laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Now when they call you to install a light in that area, you'll have it done quicker than SVH can install a resi ceiling fan and make even more profit than a ceiling fan install and be even awesome-er-er!

Thanks Good-Nuff Electric! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When i first showed the guy from facilities he said 'what's wrong" he knew it was not right and I was rubbing it in his face about using the other contractor and they screwed up. When they called them they said it's only 2 or 3 they did like that he told me he found at least 5 so far. laughing:
I guess they have not paid them yet and said they won't pay until they come and fix it. laughing:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When i first showed the guy from facilities he said 'what's wrong" he knew it was not right and I was rubbing it in his face about using the other contractor and they screwed up. When they called them they said it's only 2 or 3 they did like that he told me he found at least 5 so far. laughing:
I guess they have not paid them yet and said they won't pay until they come and fix it. laughing:
The question is have you been called back. If the guy whose nose you were rubbing is also the guy who chooses the electrician you may not be called back.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,640 Posts
The question is have you been called back. If the guy whose nose you were rubbing is also the guy who chooses the electrician you may not be called back.
Not really. The first company should come back and fix it if they expect to get paid for the initial job.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rewire said:
I am there all the time. I have been working there since 1997 when they opened. This is a inter net hosting company, the work that was done was in the office they let no one in the data centers but me. Some racks have revenue of $17.000 a month and they have 7 data centers right now. If power would go done to any data center they pay penalties and fines to there clients for there websites being down. I have a very good reputation with this company and they know I am always looking out for their best interest

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I am there all the time. I have been working there since 1997 when they opened. This is a inter net hosting company, the work that was done was in the office they let no one in the data centers but me. Some racks have revenue of $17.000 a month and they have 7 data centers right now. If power would go done to any data center they pay penalties and fines to there clients for there websites being down. I have a very good reputation with this company and they know I am always looking out for their best interest
well you did not get one job:whistling2:

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,640 Posts
So Contractor A quotes $10,000 for a job and Contractor B quotes $8,000 for the same job. Owner hires Contractor B.

Later Contractor A shows owner mistakes of Contractor B at no charge or at less than $2,000.

Owner continues to use Contractor B and have Contractor A check the work.
Except Contractor A only saw said mistakes because he was performing Job C.

If the owner is knowingly counting on Contractor A to catch the mistakes of B, but is not hiring him to go over said work, he has to know that some things will get missed. So it's not exactly a foolproof system.

Is it not common to hire multiple contractors to work in the same commercial building, provided it's a large building and contractors are usually busy?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.