Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Said the plumber's helper to me today. If I had to guess what prompted him to notify me of this I would have to say that it was the stupefied look on my face as he told me that I needed at least a #10 gauge DW cord to supply a 1500 watt 5 gallon water heater I was troubleshooting.

I pointed to the 1500 watts on the nameplate and asked him how many amps that was. He offered that a skill saw uses about 1500 amps which is about 12 amps which is all that #12 gauge is good for.

Later I approached his boss, a kind and salty old man, and before I could get 4 words out of my mouth he gruffly interrupted me with: "he doesn't know anything about plumbing either"

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Said the plumber's helper to me today. If I had to guess what prompted him to notify me of this I would have to say that it was the stupefied look on my face as he told me that I needed at least a #10 gauge DW cord to supply a 1500 watt 5 gallon water heater I was troubleshooting.

I pointed to the 1500 watts on the nameplate and asked him how many amps that was. He offered that a skill saw uses about 1500 amps which is about 12 amps which is all that #12 gauge is good for.

Later I approached his boss, a kind and salty old man, and before I could get 4 words out of my mouth he gruffly interrupted me with: "he doesn't know anything about plumbing either"
:laughing::laughing::thumbsup:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts

#10 wire also works good for diys shopping at hd installing motion sensors.

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
I went to fix a broken outlet the other day and it was a shallow box. (Furring strip wall on front of foundation.) wired with 10/2. Was one of the most pains in the arse I had to work on in a while.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I went to fix a broken outlet the other day and it was a shallow box. (Furring strip wall on front of foundation.) wired with 10/2. Was one of the most pains in the arse I had to work on in a while.
They must have asked someone likeminded to me for advice while shopping at hd.

Reactions: JoeKP
1 - 10 of 10 Posts